close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Just upgraded to DB - few questions...

Thread began 7/26/2012 3:47 am by iainmacdonald331081 | Last modified 7/26/2012 12:15 pm by iainmacdonald331081 | 1093 views | 4 replies |

iainmacdonald331081

Just upgraded to DB - few questions...

Have just upgraded, mainly for DA3. First impressions are very good, as I had until now still been using ADDT's old insert / update behaviours rather than DA's wizard. Just seemed a little clearer, plus you could add the form validations as part of the same process.

But DA3 seems to do everything pretty much in the way I'd hoped it would, giving a clearer control over the process, and enabling the validation to be added as part of the page creation process.

I do have a few little questions though - possibly things I've missed:

1. In the main DataAssist: Create Pages wizard, on the Manage Pages screen I thought there would be an option to specify an After Insert page, but don't see this anywhere. Its easy enough to edit in the code, or the Insert Record Behaviour, but just wondered if I was missing it at this stage?

2. Very much like the Configure Field Settings screen, with the label and validation stuff on the same screen. Again, I thought there would be an option to specify the validation messages in there, but don't see it. (Although again its easy enough to edit the default one in the code.)

3. After I've finished the Create Pages wizard, is it possible to open it again and edit, for example add more pages, or go back and add / edit fields in the insert / update pages?

Thanks.

Sign in to reply to this post

Andrew Read

Originally Said By: iainmacdonald331081
  1. In the main DataAssist: Create Pages wizard, on the Manage Pages screen I thought there would be an option to specify an After Insert page, but don't see this anywhere. Its easy enough to edit in the code, or the Insert Record Behaviour, but just wondered if I was missing it at this stage?  

For now it seems that we need to edit the code to make those changes, someone from WA can answer if that is a proposed feature. I for one would like to see these pages simply default to the resuts page after insert or update as a quick fix, but being able to specifiy it in the wizard is a great idea.

2. Very much like the Configure Field Settings screen, with the label and validation stuff on the same screen. Again, I thought there would be an option to specify the validation messages in there, but don't see it. (Although again its easy enough to edit the default one in the code.)  

Again, same here.. you are doing it the correct way for now, but I agree that it would be nice to see the option to change those messages from within the wizard.

3. After I've finished the Create Pages wizard, is it possible to open it again and edit, for example add more pages, or go back and add / edit fields in the insert / update pages?  

Once the wizards are generated you need to edit the behaviours that are created on the pages to make any changes, you can't go back into the wizard afterwards.

However, if you save a design preset for each new page setup, you can delete the created pages, re-run the wizard, chose that preset then make your changes, re-save the design preset and recreate those pages via the wizard quite quickly.

If it is a matter of design changes for the fields (size, type, etc.) then click on the preview window for the page you are defining within the wizard to get a preview in your browser to make sure they are ok before you create the pages.

Hope that helps, and I'm sure someone from WA will chime in with further info. :)

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

all of the info Andrew has given is correct, the Redirect after insert is set to go to the detail page by default. same or the redirect after the Update. Those redirects along with validation error messages will need to be changed after the wizard has created the page.

I have put through a feature request to have the ability modify those settings in the wizard for consideration by our engineers.

Andrew Read

If you don't create a details page, they default to themselves...

php:
$WA_redirectURL = nameUpd.php?fieldID=".((isset($_POST["WADAUpdateRecordID"]))?$_POST["WADAUpdateRecordID"]:"")  ."".(isset($_GET["pageNum_WADAtablename"])?"&pageNum_WADAtablename=".intval($_GET["pageNum_WADAtablename"]):"")  .""

In this instance (when there is no detail page created) they should probably default to the results page instead. Going back to themselves, especially on an insert, is not what one would expect and it looks like the insert failed and simply doesn't show an error. :)

iainmacdonald331081

Thanks guys - what I usually do is just redirect to a basic "New Record Added" page with options to return to the main menu, add another record etc.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...