close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

creating a secure login area

Thread began 7/24/2012 12:13 pm by JamieEff | Last modified 7/26/2012 11:31 am by JamieEff | 1765 views | 6 replies |

JamieEff

creating a secure login area

Hi guys

One of my clients is a small marketing firm who i did the site for over a year ago.

They have just asked me to create a login area for their clients and just need a bit of steerage in terms of which tools and which order I should be doing this in (first time and all that!)

Basically the login area is for their clients to be able to login and print of activity sheets for that month. *They will not have any requirement to be able to upload anything.

My client wants to be able to add activities and the associated cost as and when they need to so that at the end of the month they can print all the activity off (as can their clients) and they can then start again from scratch - there is no requirement to keep historical data.

In terms of what I need, clearly the front end has alredy been done and uses PCMS.

I am assuming that the security of the login aspect needs to be dealt with by security assist

But its the actual area for each of the clients that I am a bit stymied on.

Do I just create PCMS pages for each of the client and secure them?
What would be a more efficient way, with the tools in the WA arsenal, than using a table on the page for my client to be able to add activities by line ?

Sorry if I am not making a huge amount of sense but am not sure what sorts of things I need to ask you to make it more focussed.

TIA

Jamie

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

you would need to create a database table for the activities and a page for the clients to insert them.

With security assist, when the user logs in, the uesrs ID is stored in a session variable.

In the activities table, add a relational column that will hold the user ID to relate the activity to the user. In the insert record behavior, you can bind that column to the session created by login to do so.

JamieEff

Thanks Jason but to be honest I can read the words but I'm afraid I just dont understand where or how to start and the tools that I need to do it.

Would it be worth my while to have a premier/premium session to get started with it so that I understand the steps and methodology?

Cheers

Jamie

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

the idea is that you want to have the ability for the users to add activities to the site.

in order to do this, you need to have a table that will store the activities

and you need to have a form that the user fills out to populate the table.

To relate the activity to the user who fills out the form, you ned to add a column to the activity table to create the relationship.

in security assist, when a user logs in, their ID is stored in a session variable.

When the user fills in the activity form, the insert to the activity table should store the User id Session in the relation column of the activity table.

If you need further clarification and help setting this up, we can help in a premiere support appointment.

JamieEff

Hi Jason

I just dont understand how to start or what I need to be doing with that so probably a good idea to go for the premier ticket

Jamie

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

to start with, you create the table.

after that you create the login system

Then create the insert form and add the insert record behavior.

JamieEff

Originally Said By: JamieEff
  .....so probably a good idea to go for the premier ticket  

thanks

Jamie

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...