close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Client and Server side means Validating twice.

Thread began 6/21/2012 5:34 pm by webVoodoo | Last modified 6/22/2012 7:45 am by Jason Byrnes | 806 views | 1 replies |

webVoodoo

Client and Server side means Validating twice.

Hello

I made a registration page using Data Bridge 1.0.4 (just noticed 1.0.5 was released yesterday) with text, menu, checkboxes and radio group fields. I also added a re-enter email field to verify the emails match. Both email and re-enter email fields had email validations added in the wizard. After creating the form, I added a Like Entry validation to the re-enter email field for the match. This all works.

On testing, I notice that the client side Spry validations have to pass before the form is sent to the server for server side validations.

Looking at the form it seems that all validating fields are Spry except for the radio buttons and the Like Entry which are validated server side - as they're not included in the list of Spry.Widget.ValidationTextField variables right at the bottom of the page.

To me, this means that if an applicant fails one of the client Spry validations and also fails a radio button or email Like Entry, they will only see the failed validation notices for the client side validations because the form hasn't yet been sent to the server. Only when all the Spry validations pass is the form sent to the server and server side validation failures are seen by the applicant.

This means the applicant doesn't see any server validation failures until all client validations are cleared first. This means that the submit button may have to be clicked twice, once to see all the client side failures and once they are passed, again to see any server side failures.

Is it possible to have all validations client side so that all validation failure warning can be seen at once? Or alternatively, all server side (probably not as secure as client side validation).

Am I understanding this correctly?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Paul Gilbert

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

The purpose behind using spry validation is to give the user immediate feed back while filling in the form. However, Spry validation uses Javascript, so is very easy to disable by turning off javascript in the browsers settings.

Server Side validation is used to secure the forms to make sure that incorrect data is not entered.

sure, you could remove the spry validation and only use server validation, but that would take away the user friendly aspect of showing immediate errors while moving from one element to the next.

Sign in to reply to this post

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...