close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Basic Questions

Thread began 6/19/2012 3:34 pm by johna1964 | Last modified 6/21/2012 6:29 am by johna1964 | 1295 views | 6 replies |

johna1964

Basic Questions

Hi!

I'm trying to understand how this works and how I can make this work correctly. I've been inserting data directly to the database and creating the pages up to this point. From the tutorials and PDF instruction I am understanding I can use this for the back end admin and public.

For the back end admin, I ran the wizard once. I get that, and the purpose.

Do I also run the wizard again for the public users or just need to secure the pages that the public does not need to see?

Thank you!

johna1964

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

when creating the admin pages, you should run the wizard and set the pages to be created in an admin subfolder by adding the subfolder name in front of the file names in the Mange pages tab. so the
Products_results.php

would be changed to:
admin/Products_results.php

to force it to be created in the admin subfolder.

For the admin pages, you will want to create the full set of search, results, details, insert, update. after the admin pages are created, use security assist to protect them.

Run the create pages wizard again for the public pages, you dont need to add a subfolder so they are created in the root of the site, and dont select to create the insert and update pages.

johna1964

Jason,

I thank you! That cleared up much confusion :)

Johna

johna1964

The best way to redo DataAssist

Jason,

I am running into issues and would like a fresh start. What folders do I need to delete in order to rerun the DA wizard?

Thank you!

johna1964

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

no folders need to be deleted, only the pages that Data Assist created.

johna1964

Hi Jason,

Okay, I have the admin folder and files; also created a user search folder for the public.

When I created the public files with DA, Dreamweaver warned me that it was creating files in uneditible region. The region selected at the beginning of the wizard is editable and does work properly in the admin files. I tried to detach and reattach, but that made a mess so I deleted the files and reran DA again for the public files. I'ts continues with the same issue. What should I do to correct this...

Further explanation: The public pages will not update when any changes to the template are made.

Also, the admin files work great and when changes are made, they are also made in the database - awesome! - I wasn't sure how all of that worked... thank you!

Thank you!

johna1964

johna1964

Got it!

Hi Jason,

I applied an editable region to the template, made the changes manually to the public pages.

Next, removed the template editable region manually. Saved the template.

I'm not sure why, but it updated all the pages to reflect the manual changes and upon testing, all public pages are reflecting updates to the template...

Thank you for your help!

johna1964

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...