close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Sec Assist Password Validation Strength error

Thread began 5/31/2012 12:37 am by Roland Rogers | Last modified 5/31/2012 9:26 am by Roland Rogers | 3207 views | 11 replies |

Roland Rogers

Sec Assist Password Validation Strength error

Hi,
I am trying out the new Data Bridge having used the individual components for some time. After creating new Security Assist pages (login, logout, userupdate, forgotpassword, and registration.php) I am getting a validation error on the strength of the password used despite being an acceptable length. I have played with some of the code in SpryAssets but to no avail.

I am using DW CS4 on Vista and the latest version of Data Bridge (1.0.2).

Everything else seems to work OK, just this one error keeps the form from posting on the login page and thre registration page.

This is the code of the error that keeps coming up: <span class="passwordInvalidStrengthMsg">The password doesn't meet the specified strength. Your field must contain a minimum of 4 and a maximum of 20 characters.</span> even when I use a password that is 6 chars long.

I do have this field to encrypt with SHA1, if that has any bearing on this issue. Any help is greatly appreciated as I have to get moving on my projects.

Thanks!

Sign in to reply to this post

Christopher WestCommunity Expert

I dont think it has anything to do with the encryption as encryption would only happen after the form has been validated.

Have you gone into your validation settings for that particular field and checked which options you have set? as I know you can set all types, maybe you have several validations for the password field and only one validation message gets shown for all of them (thereby not know which validation that message is responding to - if that makes any sense :)

Chris

Roland Rogers

I have been going through all the code and analysing all validation code to figure this one out... what is odd is that the proper validation warnings pop up when the password is too short or too long, only when it is just right it shows the error I described.

it seems to be the server side error, too.

Oddly, in Dreamweaver when I select the field and look at the Spry panel in the Properties window, when I select show valid state it shows the field as being styled green but that warning text above is still visible.

Could this be a bug?

I have rebuilt these pages many times using the wizard and get the same result. I have scaled my validations down to a bare minimum for the password field but this one validation is preventing the login and register pages from working. (All other validations work perfectly, btw!)

And I have cleared my cache file a few times and re upload the Spry and webassist folders after each round of creating these pages just to be sure it is not a remnant piece of code in an include file...

Thanks for the response, but sadly I still need some tech support... ! I have faith that Jason will know exactly what to do!!

no worries while you wait i just thought to give a few ideas. once last thing - in your webassist folder in your root directory of your website, under "secruity assist" do you have the php include file there for encryption?

also have you looked at the include file order for encryption in your page?

chris

Roland Rogers

I appreciate the response Chris. Thanks.

I do have the encryption php file in the security assist folder. I guess I can also look at the order as you mention. Everything else works so nicely, it kills me that this little glitch is taking so long for me to troubleshoot! If I could even find where that server validation is happening I could disable just that validation but it is not so clear where that is.

Anyone else have this issue of an over eager validation when creating pages in the Security Assist wizard?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

please send a copy of the page so i can take a look at the code.

Roland Rogers

Sure thing. Here is the login page all zipped up for you. The error is also replicated on the registration.php page but I figured the login page is simpler. If you need any of the other pages generated by the wizard let me know.

Thanks so much!

Attached Files
login.zip

being nosy i had a look at that file and noticed you have "Secruity Assist Authenticate User" twice!

Chris

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

@Roland - the problem is caused by the password strength settings, this line is used for the spry validation of the passwrd:

var Log_In_group_Password_Spry = new Spry.Widget.ValidationPassword("Log_In_group_Password_Spry", { minAlphaChars:0, maxAlphaChars:0, minNumbers:0, maxNumbers:0, minSpecialChars:0, maxSpecialChars:0, minChars:4, maxChars:20, isRequired:true , validateOn:["blur"]})

it is set to allow:
minAlphaChars: 0
maxAlphaChars:0
minNumbers:0
maxNumbers:0
minSpecialChars:0
maxSpecialChars:0
minChars:4
maxChars:20

the problem is the max settings you have set the maxAlphaChars, maxNumbers, and maxSpecialChars all to 0.

this basically says "don't allow any letters, numbers, or special characters"

@chris - There are supposed to be 2 authenticate user behaviors.

the first one is used if the login button is pressed. it authenticates against the username and password that are entered.

the second is used if the Remember Me and Auto Login checkboxes are checked. If those boxes are checked, the username and password are stored in cookies. the second authenticate behavior uses the cookies for authentication.

...hmm that could explain why my remember me functionality never worked when i set it up ages ago :)

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...