close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

The update seems to take ages....

Thread began 5/24/2012 6:21 am by Christopher West | Last modified 5/24/2012 3:11 pm by Christopher West | 2540 views | 13 replies |

Christopher WestCommunity Expert

The update seems to take ages....

Hi, from the attached php page. I have a page that displays current orders, each order has its own drop-down selector and a "save" button (to update that particular record in the database) so this page displays ALL orders and the Admin and go down the page and select which order they want to update (so the update happens on that page).

problem is it seems the more orders on that page, the longer it takes for the browser to refresh and update. and when the update occurs the page "eventually" refreshes and that order which was chosen for the update is the only one displayed (so all the other non-updated orders are not displayed..until i either manually refresh or go out th epage and go back in).

so a bit confused on those 2 issues.

ps this issue is on all 3 pages (new orders, open orders and closed orders)

please help :)

regards

Chris

Attached Files
admin.zip
Sign in to reply to this post

troyd

Chris,

Just out of curiosity. What browser are you using? The reason I ask, (and this may be totally unrelated), is that for some reason lately FireFox has been doing this to me.
This is on Update pages that have been fine for months. If I open the same page in Safari or Chrome and do an Update, it's instant. Back to FF and it just spins forever. Most of the time I have to quite FF completely and then reopen the page.
The Update is usually completed using FF but it keeps spinning and we wait.
I'm experiencing this using FF 12.0 but 11.x was also doing it.

Thanks,
TroyD

Hi Troy, I always use IE9 on Windows 7 64bit (reason being is still a high % of users use IE, then I test on the other browsers). I will try test on Firefox and see if there is a difference in speed. But to be honest I think its to do with my coding. I think its more of the order of some code snippets ive used.

Chris

Ian S

Hi Chris,

Interesting reading about your comments on a high number of people using IE!

It is dropping like a stone but it has been a third rate browser for a long time now behind Firefox and Chrome.

In April alone the stats for the browsers were as follows:

IE (All versions) Firefox Chrome Safari Opera
April 18.3 % 35.8 % 38.3 % 4.5 % 2.3 %

I know that in the grand scheme of things that 18.3% is a hell of a lot of people, but thankfully people started to take note of how bad IE actually is quite a long time ago. The last time that IE was the most popular browser was December 2008!

Cheers
Ian

Hi Ian, yeah I do look at stats quick a bit and heard Chrome took over IE the other day. However I have one client who wants me to devleop a website which is for the travel industry and she told me that majority of the staff use very old computers hence old browser such as IE7 - so as she is targeting travel staff who still use IE (she works for the travel industry so she tells me it needs to be IE7 at least). But I do agree with your comments totally :)

anyway, getting sidetracked with my main issues with my coding that I need help on :)

Chris

Ian S

OK back on track.... the order of your code looks OK at initial glance.

Have you tried putting in a redirect after your update behaviour takes place.

So using open-orders.php as an example change line 17 to

$WA_redirectURL = "open-orders.php";

Also, you might want to consider pagination so that it only displays 20 or so records on a page. That will speed things up immensely.

Cheers
Ian

ok will try that Ian. yes i should bew using pagination :) but at the moment during testing theres only around 8 orders on the page so not sure why that takes so long. but will try your suggestion :)

has no effect....i am wondering this...as for some reason (after clearing internet cache) - if i go to the website...the homepage also takes a while to load (well the images in th emain content area) - i do have a recordset on there plus the rotating images in the banner are all loaded from the database and using jquery to scroll...also used webassist image resizer...then in the admin area (which i cant give access to on here) has the same rotating banner use on the product pages) so perhaps thats some how causing the record update to take longer then it should? but then again once all the images are cached onto my computer then that shouldnt have an effect on the record update on the open-orders page right?

here is the link to the homepage to see if it takes a while to load on anyone elses computer...

index.php (this is hosted on 1and1)

i know its not the hosting as 1and1 are usually pretty good and use them for all previous web projects.

Ian S

That loads pretty quick for me until it starts to call info from the database.

Are the database and website on the same server?

Cheers
Ian

yes both on same server (well its a 1and1 shared hosting). but i never had any problems before - im almost convinced that its the webassist image resizer - then but again, once all the images have been cached they are simply stored on the hosting under a folder - so that wouldnt make my theory correct. with regard to the homepage perhaps its the way i have structured the coding for the record sets as getting those images displayed in the middle was a bit messy since the way they are stored in the database. but before i fix the homepage wanted to get the admin open orders code sorted first.

hmm im scraching my head as it seems to work faster now but it doesnt update itself so i have to refresh the browser to show the new saved results. all confused. as i uploaded the file back onto the server.

Chris

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...