close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Powerstore / Dreamweaver

Thread began 3/16/2012 9:19 am by richard426013 | Last modified 3/19/2012 9:47 am by Jason Byrnes | 2276 views | 8 replies |

richard426013

Powerstore / Dreamweaver

Hi I need to build a website with an integrated online store. Currently the website is www.angelicwishes.co.uk - I used your Paypal payment buttons extension for this purpose, the store is built in Dreamweaver. This has worked reasonably well - the site is still something of a work in progress and I need to make some drastic changes. Firstly the site needs to retain its information content and also have the current static online store integrated into it with its own shopping cart rather than the Paypal cart. Also I need to hand over the site so the owner can add products easily, which at the moment is a time consuming process in Dreamweaver handled by me. To this end can I use Powerstore's core functionality but reshape it as I see fit in Dreamweaver by changing the supplied CSS and also adding in custom elements to the home page directly within Dreamweaver?

The plan is to have product on the index page along with additional information and a link to the main store based on Powerstore. I am happy to roll my sleeves up and change CSS in Dreamwever etc - but is this possible without wrecking the functionality of Powerstore. Also are the store product pages generated from a template whereby I can do likewise and change the look and styling of the templates without breaking the functionality. This way I can retain most of the look of the website (I except that the product pages will not be exactly the same but can be re-coloured close). This way I can hand over the website and let the customer add products as they see fit without me having to code everything. They also get their integrated shopping cart facility as well.

I am not after a walkthrough - just want to know if this heavy editing can be done in Dreamweaver without the whole functionality falling apart?

Many thanks, I look forward to your response in due course.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

yes, this can be done with power store.

the best strategy would be to install power store to it;s own directory:
power_store

for example, this way you retain your existing index page and only need to giv a link to the store directory.

in power store, the admin panel has a design editor that lets you choose from 4 existing themes and edit those themes to change colors and fonts an such.

there is also a content management system so you can edit the content of the store pages, and a product catalog management system to allow adding new products and categories,

richard426013

Thanks Jason - I have read just about all the info on PowerStore, watched most of the relevant videos and read a big chunk of this forum - it is all very informative, but I just need to be sure. So before I do go ahead and buy can you confirm one way or the other whether I can edit the entire layout of the store homepage and the product and category page layouts within Dreamweaver or am I stuck with the admin panel design system for the content pages? I am hoping that the pages are a template which I can edit directly in Dreamweaver by opening the page and accessing the CSS and adding to the pages as I see fit. Or is there a framework to the four designs that cannot be reworked? I do not want to work with the admin design panel if avoidable as I understand Dreamweaver and this will allow me to do so much more in terms of the final design and layout. Obviously the CMS system would be used to upload product and make the store function. Many thanks.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

it os possible to edit the template for the designs, the templates are stored in the webassist/themes/<selected theme>/templates folder.

you are better of using the design editor for the things that can be changed in the design editor, and customizing the template files for changes the design editor is not capable of.

richard426013

Great thanks Jason, much appreciated - very swift response - this support gives me greater confidence in the products.

richard426013

Jason - another query - reading through the forum there have been a few questions asked about how the side menu collapses - the fact that is does not collapse down fully to just category headings seems to have been an area of frustration. There is a link in one of the recent forums: showthread.php?t=25463 that shows a PowerStore site in progress - this has a fully collapsible menu - is that now part of the functionality of the latest version, as it is a much neater solution? The category opens on clicking and then closes when clicked again. Many thanks.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

i believe that is a power store 3 site.

in power store 4, top level categories will not collapse. Only subcategories that have another layer of subcategories under them will collapse.

richard426013

Seems a shame - any technical reason for this? From an aesthetic point of view I think the collapsing version is much more pleasing and easy to navigate?

Ray - are you saying that this is dependent on the theme chosen at the outset and is still current in v 4.5?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

theres really no technical reason, when the menu system was developed in Power Store 4, it was created so that top level categories created a heading for a new collapsible menu on the page.

Ray's earlier statement was not correct, so he deleted it.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

This post has been deleted.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...