close ad
Help us test the new Databridge BETA with MySQLi support
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

PayPal Standard vs PayPal Express

Thread began 3/02/2012 6:02 pm by Stan | Last modified 3/21/2012 5:08 pm by Stan | 3511 views | 8 replies |

Stan

PayPal Standard vs PayPal Express

I noticed that the new point release of power store doesn't support "standard" anymore. I guess what I'm wondering is why you guys are so solidly in the express camp. From a programming perspective it makes complete sense but I'm really on the fence about the user experience. With Express the buyer can't find out what the total charge will be until after they pass through PayPal which could scare some off. On the other hand with Standard if they don't already have a PayPal account they end up double entering information. But the majority do have PayPal accounts. I actually think there is a slight advantage to Standard from a buyers perspective. You guys must have some strong opinions about this to be dropping support for Standard. Care to share?

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

The main reason not to support PayPal standard and suggest paypal express instead is that paypal standard is not a real time processor.

When the user gets to the thank you page, the transaction has been placed in a queue for paypal to process with the merchant bank, that can take any where from a few seconds to a few hours to actually happen..

paypal express though, processes the transaction in real time, if the user is directed to the payment success page, that means the funds have been transferred from the merchant bank to your paypal account.

craig158722

Payment options suitable for client

I was just about to purchase an additional licence for Powerstore when I saw the new version and that Paypal Payments Standard has been removed.

Can you tell me what option my client now has to accept credit card payments into their Paypal account without paying a monthly fee? The are a charity which holds a major event once a year so do not want to have to pay a monthly fee for accepting credit / debit card payments as they will only be selling anything on the site for about 2 months of the year.

Paypal Express from what I can see is not a viable option for them so have a bit of a problem that I told the client they would be able to accept various payment types into the Paypal account without any additional fee's and be able to do that with Powerstore which they have already paid me for the licence.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Express checkout is free and allows you to accept credit cards even if your customer doesn't have a paypal account.

I'm not sure what you think the downside of Express Checkout is. The only real downside to express checkout is that it is harder to program, but we've done that part for you.

MikeH

Hi
I have read the express vs standard topics on here so often but do think at this point that WA have it wrong.

What is Website Payments Standard?

Website Payments Standard enables you to accept online payments from customers with -- or without -- PayPal accounts.

• Accept all major credit/debit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover), eChecks, bank transfers, and PayPal accounts.
  • Easily create payment buttons (like Buy Now and Add to Cart) for your websites with PayPal tools. You design the button features, and the tools generate all the HTML code for you.

Do my buyers need a PayPal account to pay me?

No. They can pay with their credit/debit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover) — all without having a PayPal account.  

Source link:

WPStandardFAQsBFTwo-outside

Express the customer does not need an account but will be created on if they havent got one. Standard they do not have to hae one and will NOT be created one.

Customer can pay with credit/debit with no Paypal account needed or created. The link will give you the details.

Standard is also free. I have had clients who refuse to require their clients to have a paypal account so express is not an option. Standard is the only viable one as for Pro the monthly fee is offputting.

I hope this helps to clarify a few things.

Mike

craig158722

Thanks MikeH. This is exactly the point I was trying to get across. Was working late last night and brain was a bit fried when I came across this.

So, as MikeH said, my client (and other clients I have used this package for) doesn't want their customers to be forced to set up a Paypal account when they purchase from their site as they (and I) feel that it may force potential buyers away as we do know people who buy online but are not interested in using Paypal.

After finally clarifying my point (thanks again to MikeH) how are my clients supposed to take payments into their Paypal account without using Paypal Express??

I was about to buy another 3 licences for Powerstore (already bought 2) for this and future clients but am now having to consider going elsewhere if I cannot provide the client with the payment options they require.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

You don't need a pro account for Express only. It is completely free.

I followed your link that says that paypal standard doesn't require a paypal account... but nowhere does it say that express checkout does. Your customers are not forced to set up a paypal account...

I have attached a screen shot of the form your customers will see at checkout with express checkout...

It clearly has an option to checkout without a paypal account and it clearly states that creating an account is optional at the bottom and lets you decide whether you want to or not.

This is no different than Paypal Standard.

I also found this link on yahoo that talks about it and shows screen shots that contradict your assertion that a paypal account is necessary or even created automatically.

paypal-41.html

MikeH

Hi
Looks like we all have a few misconceptions of the two payment types.

I think with P.ex. the merchant used to be able to disable payments without paypal account this may have caused us to think that you had to have an account. It certainly looks like you do not have to now though.

Regards

Mike

Stan

Just to throw a little gasoline back on the fire...

The issue of Standard not being "real-time" may not even be a starter. With the exception of selling digital goods (downloads) this MAY be critical but the reality is that orders are rarely processed in real time anyway. In my experience, orders are filled once a day and shipped once a day so who really cares if there is a slight lag. Also in my experience there isn't a lag. Certainly PayPal makes no guarantees but, BASED ON ACTUAL EXPERIENCE, IPN is lightning fast.

One of the advantages of Standard/IPN is that IF you are selling on Ebay as well as your own website, you may and probably should already be using IPN. The only way to get "pseudo" real time notification of an Ebay sale is through IPN.

Another advantage of Standard/IPN is that the customer can be given the total cost, primarily shipping cost, of the transaction BEFORE they go through the PayPal processing. Again in my experience buyers want this information early. (before they pull out the credit card)

One advantage Express has is that from a programmatic perspective it's neat and clean. (API driven). But I'm not sure my programming O/C behavior should be driving the design of the website.

In my case, Standard is still a better overall solution. This is certainly not universal. But what I would REALLY like, and I feel is universal, is that I don't want Webassist making the decision for me.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...