close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Upgrading from PowerCMS to PowerCMS Builder

Thread began 12/07/2011 1:30 pm by chris373619 | Last modified 12/20/2011 3:31 pm by chris373619 | 2590 views | 7 replies |

chris373619

Upgrading from PowerCMS to PowerCMS Builder

Ok, this seems strange but I can't find any documentation on how to go from PowerCMS to PowerCMS Builder. Am I the only one that's upgraded?

OK I have the old PowerCMS and I just upgraded to PowerCMS Builder. How to I change over to the new software. Please be specific. Maybe a step by step process would be nice on your end as well to post on your site.

My main concern is loosing what's in the CMS already. The only way I can think of is building the pages without the CMS and starting over with the new one but that would take forever so that can't be the right way to do this.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Power CMS 2 and Power CMS Builder are the same thing, the only difference is that Power CMS Builder allows you to add content areas to your pages inside of dreamweaver.

Power CMS Builder is not really an Upgrade, it is a tool that would be used instead of the Solution pack.

where you already have the solution pack in place, there is nothing to be gained by switching to Power CMS Builder.

chris373619

That didn't help any... What I want to gain is the ability to edit the CMS content in Dreamweaver. That's what the new software does right... How do I connect to the existing CMS? When I try it says the content area can't contain server side code. Again, why don't you have documentation on this process? Am I the only one that's purchased the new version that's been using the old version?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

are you using the Add Content to PowerCMS Option? from the error message, it sounds like the content you have selected on the web page to add to power cms contains server side php code.

server side code cannot be stored in the Power CMS database.

make sure that the selection you are making on the web page does not contain any server side code.

chris373619

Yes, I'm using the Add Content to PowerCMS option. The code is on the page how it should be to use the Power CMS. It's works fine in PowerCMS.

Example:
<div id="Main_area"><?php
include('/home/content/18/6226118/html/cms/WA_CMS/addtosite.php');
echo WA_getCMSContent($database_PowerCMSConnection, $PowerCMSConnection, 'Home', 'Main area', false);
?> </div>

My site works perfect as is with the PowerCMS. Can you just give me detailed information on how to go from PowerCMS to PowerCSM builder. I would imagine this would be the same for everyone going from PowerCMS to PowerCMS Builder. Nothing is wrong with the Power CMS but I would like the unlimited use of the powerCMS builder and the ability to use it in dreamweaver. For these reasons I want to use what I just purchased from your company, the PowerCMS builder. Again, Please give me detailed information on how to do this and not just short questions back to me. This is wasting my time.

chris373619

So I haven't seen a response to my help request December 9th. What's going on with this help request?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

your kind of missing the point.

you are trying to select a Power CMS Content Area and convert it to a Power CMS Content area, that will not work.

the two tools where not intended to do what you are asking about, thats the bottom line. I understand that is not the answer you want to hear, but that does not change the fact that it is the answer.

it is not intended to migrate your site from Power CMS to Power CMS Builder.

the Power CMS of Power CMS Builder is no different than the Power CMS of the Power CMS Solution pack. you don't "Upgrade" your content areas by using the Power CMS Builder Dreamweaver interfaces.

The only way migrating from Power CMS Solution to Power CMS Builder in your site will work, is if the power CMS Solution pack was installed at the root of your Dreamweaver site. if this is not the casein your site, than the migration is not possible.

if it is the case, there is nothing special that needs to be done. You can select an area of HTML Content and use the PowerCMS Add Content to PowerCMS Option to convert that HTML Area to a new content area, or you can use the Insert Content From Power CMS Option to insert a existing content area to a page in Dreamweaver.

chris373619

The bottom part of that is the answer to the question. The top part i'm not sure because you go on to explain how to do it. Either way it's something I can work with. I will back everything up and try the last bit of your message.
Thanks

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...