close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Letting some customers submit orders and not pay upfront

Thread began 10/12/2011 6:58 am by iainmacdonald331081 | Last modified 10/19/2011 6:44 am by Jason Byrnes | 2270 views | 10 replies |

iainmacdonald331081

Letting some customers submit orders and not pay upfront

Just had a client ask about this - we've just launched a site with an eCart driven store, which is all working nicely.

He offers a discount to trade customers, which also works using a discount code they can enter at checkout.

But he's just realised he has a few customers on 30 days credit, so they don't need to pay at the checkout.

From the features list it sounds like this is possible in eCart, but I couldn't see much in the documentation.

Is it even possible for the same cart to allow some customers to pay via Paypal, and some not pay, or does it have to be one or the other?

If anyone could point me in the right direction for how to set this up, that would be appreciated.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

you would need to create 2 sets of checkout pages using the checkout wizard, one with no gateway, the other set using paypal

make sure that the checkout pages get uniquely named in the last step of the wizard.

you will need to add logic to the checkout to tell it which set of checkout pages to use.

iainmacdonald331081

Thanks Jason.

Do I just need to run the checkout wizard again and create, for example:

confirm_2.php
checkout_2.php
checkout_success_2.php
checkout_failure_2.php

and used the existing cart object? Or do I need to create a second cart object?

Just want to be sure so that I don't do anything that undoes what's already working!

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

yes, exactly, use the same cart object, and create unique names for the second set of checkout pages that will be created.

iainmacdonald331081

Great, thanks Jason.

Might come back to you about how to determine which checkout the user is sent to.

So I guess I'm not sure at which point the visitor can go in two directions - is it from the cart page to two different checkout pages, or from the checkout page to two different confirm pages?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

from the cart page, you would go to the separate checkout pages.

iainmacdonald331081

Thanks Jason - that makes the most sense. Would the idea be to have two checkout buttons, e.g. 'pay now' and 'pay later'?

I do wonder if this is opening up a can of worms in that regular customers might then select 'pay later' when really they shouldn't be able to!

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

yes, you would need to have 2 checkout buttons.

you will need to add an if statement around a the pay later button so that it will only be displayed to the correct users,

iainmacdonald331081

I assume this would mean having customers log in to use the online store, then if a trade customer was logged in, the alternate checkout button could be set to appear conditionally?

Trouble there is that the site owner prefers not to have that barrier to making a purchase.

iainmacdonald331081

duplicate post

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...