close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

sitemap.html not really formatted

Thread began 8/18/2011 2:04 am by david428573 | Last modified 8/19/2011 6:41 pm by david428573 | 3035 views | 4 replies |

david428573

sitemap.html not really formatted

Although level-n classes are defined and pages are in a hierarchy, the sitemap.html file is a single-level flat list, with the list items like this:

mysubject
mysubject/subtopic
mysubject/anothersubtopic
mysubject/anothersubtopic/thirdleveltopic
yoursubject
yoursubject/subone

etc.

Wouldn't it be more sensible to insert the appropriate <ul> tags to introduce a new subtopic, and at least limit the text to the basename? Even better would be to pull the text from the target page, from a user-configurable tag like <title> (most obviously), or the first <h1> on the page, or SOMETHING.

As it is, the site map may be useful in its XML form for search engine submission, but I can't have the HTML version on my site, it looks like ... well, what it is. Auto-generated without regard for style or usability.

Am I just completely missing the secret config options for this program?

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

In the site map wizard, under the Header, there are controls to move an item left or right.

moving an item to the right will create a new sub list, moving it to the left will remove it from a sublist.

at the bottom, in the label section, it will use the page name, you can edit this to use another label if you like.

david428573

Off to see the wizard..

Um - what wizard? Here's what I'm doing:
Site -- Webassist Site Tools
Select Surveyor and click GO
I now have these choices:
[] Create from site
[] Exit existing site map
[] Select pages manually

I choose "create from site", and my options are:
Web Address
Save site map at
Page file types
Links to follow
Maximum pages
Follow dynamic links
Ignore URL parameters
Edit site map when done

When it's done I get a list of each page and these are the options:
+ add - delete Y cut
Pages:
URL:
Last Modified:
Change Frequency:
Priority:

[ HELP ] [ FINISH ] [ CANCEL ]

That's it. There is no "under Header", no controls to move an item left or right, no label section.

I would tell you the version but the software does not display it. I just purchased this 3 weeks ago.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

to create the HTML Site map, go to Insert -> Webassist -> Surveyor _> HTML Site map,

This is the wizard I am referring to.

david428573

Here's how to do this

I've attached a Perl program that does what I expected this commercial product to do - intelligently indent the items to reflect the filesystem hierarchy, and pull the text from the Title tag. This is 20 minute's work. Yipe.

Attached Files
mapper.txt

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...