close ad
Databridge V2 with MySQLi support IS Now Available!
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Dynamic Drop Down - set value equal to....

Thread began 7/08/2011 9:38 am by demetri.demetrakis378886 | Last modified 3/16/2015 1:06 pm by Jason Byrnes | 5286 views | 13 replies |

demetri.demetrakis378886

Dynamic Drop Down - set value equal to....

Hi I have implemented DD on a webform fine, but want them on an other form which allows you to edit a previous record. A recordset provide the results, but want the form elements (drop downs etc) to hold the corresponding record data.

This would normally be done by the set value equal to the result of a record set, I have applied this but it does not work.....does anyone know whether DD overrides this somehow?

Hope someone can help, thanks.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

on an update page, you need to add the Set Value equal to behavior for the parent element to the body onLoad event, you also need to add the populate list from array and s second set value equal to for the child element, all to the body onLoad event.

harold427995

more specics on update

I am using DD on an update page and although it seems to work ok when a parent selection is made the child menu will not hold a change of choice from the dd menu.
Could you explain in more detail how to set these drop-down menus up? I am not using lists but drop-down menus.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

what specifically are you having difficulty with?

have you got the Dynamic Drop Down working on the insert page?

it's the same setup on the update page, except that the Set Selected in List for the parent list, populate list from array and set selected in list for the child list behaviors need to be added to the body onLoad event.

on the onLoad event, these behaviors will change the selected item in the parent list, then populate the child list and set the selected item in the child list.

harold427995

On load statement

Ok, I got the Add page working. And started from scratch on the update page. However there is no "onload" statement in the body tag.
The parent is set to the right value based on the recordset but the child is not set at all. Before I had dynamically set the child menu by clicking on it and setting the recordset to populate the dropdown and had set the value to the field storing the child data.
Suggestions on how to get the onload statement back in the body tag.

harold427995

attaching page

Hello Jason,
I am attaching a copy of the page to assist in determining why the value of the second drop down, "Class perferred" is not getting selected when the page loads. Both drop downs "Program" and "Class Preferred" have values stored in the RSchild recordset and the parent (rsProgram) and child (ClassRS) drop down menus need to reflect what is already stored, if that is possible.

Attached Files
PSform.zip

demetri.demetrakis378886

Hey, ok I managed to get the Parent combo to be auto populated with the value saved in the record, but setting the value = to a record set for the child does not populate the child combo....I will take a look at this on load.....

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

harold427995:

you have not applied the set selected for the parent list, populate list from array and set selected for the child list behavior to the onload behavior of the body tag.

these behaviors must applied to the body tags onload event.

harold427995

Sorry but your instructions are to vague

I am attempting to follow the set of instructions I downloaded from your site. Unfortunately they do not cover the process of setting values from an existing record set. Could you please provide a step by step procedure for setting up a parent and child menu where both values are in the database record set. I think this would be helpful.

Also, is your extension suppose to write the OnLoad statements? If so, it isn't doing that for some reason.
Thank you for your help

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I have created a support ticket so we can look into this issue further.

To view and edit your support ticket, please log into your support history:
supporthistory.php

If anyone else is experiencing this same issue, please append to this thread.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...