close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Emailing Server Data Detail Page

Thread began 5/19/2011 2:27 pm by doug425125 | Last modified 5/26/2011 9:36 am by doug425125 | 3549 views | 8 replies |

doug425125

Emailing Server Data Detail Page

I am relatively new to php and SQL. I recently purchased the Super Suite to help me with database management. I'm in the process of building a support engine for a web client of mine. The site is already complete with the exception of the contact and support databases in complete functioning mode as required. My clients only require admin pages to retrieve support questions and answers as well as email address data. I have created the database in SQL and was able to get Data Assist to compile the pages, so that they can search, insert, edit or delete records. Data Assist was brilliant indeed in making this part happen. One of the requirements, once the information is found, is to send the correct "Detail" page obtained from the results as an email with that content to the customer making the support inquiry. I created the bulk of the site in Freeway Pro 5.5, but have also recently purchased the Adobe CS 5 Web premium suite to expand my server side database services as I work with the Super Suite. I'm currently stuck at getting a way of sending that email from the 'detail' page after a successful search and then trying to implement the solution with 'Create Email Message' from the Super Suite package. All the php forms were created by Data Assist, and I'm testing this on my local server with MAMP. (OSX app) Any help in pointing me to a solution would be fantastic. I'm probably missing something fundamental here, so please forgive my lack of knowledge here.. Thanks..

Doug

Sign in to reply to this post

anonymous

Doug,

One thing you could do is add the create email message behavior to the detail page and set it to send "on page load". Then you can get the data for your email message from the database bindings that will be present on your detail page.

Best regards,

Brian

doug425125

Still Trying

Thanks very much for your help here Brian. This didn't work for me. I placed the "on page load" as a Trigger in the top panel of "Create Email Message". The details page shows the question and answer, but I can't seem to to get these pieces of data to email to the addressI specify. I have set up the SMTP server, and have been able to receive emails, but void of the content with the exception of the default email body content when that is checked in the "create a file for your email". There probably is a way of getting the question and answer data into the body of that email, but so far I've had no luck. Thanks again for the suggestion, although I may have misunderstood it.

Doug

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

How are you setting up the email message?

Don't use the option to Create a file for the email message, instead, click the Dreamweaver edit icon to create the email message in Dreamweaver, then go to the bindings panel, and drag the recordset bindings t your page to show the recordset data.

doug425125

Thanks Jason

Thanks Jason. That did it. I also used "Recordset: WADAxxxx is not empty" as the trigger for the detail page email.

I'm now trying to figure out how to send an email to an address I can input directly before it sends out. I'm trying to set this up as a support database to help support staff find the answers and then email it to the customer that inquired.

I noticed that there is a new version of Universal Email (4). I just bought the Super Suite a month ago,and the universal email functionality was a part of Form Toolkit1.0, I believe. Is the new version 4 of Universal Email something that will offer improvements and extended function over the current version that was included with Form Toolkit?

Thanks again for your help in solving this Jason. (and to you Brian for the previous suggestion)

The Super Suite continues to amaze me..

Doug

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

add a form to the detail page with a text box in it for entering the email address the email should go to.

Use the following code for the forms action and set the method to POST:

php:
<?php echo htmlentities($_SERVER["PHP_SELF"]); ?><?php echo (isset($_SERVER["QUERY_STRING"]) && $_SERVER["QUERY_STRING"] != "")?"?".htmlentities($_SERVER["QUERY_STRING"]):""?>

in universal Email, set the trigger to use the form submit button.

for the to address, click the lightning bolt and select the email address text box from the form.

The version of Universal Email included with Form Builder is exactly the same as Universal Email 4.

doug425125

Thanks

Thanks Jason, that worked perfectly. Good to know the function of Universal Email 4 is in Form Toolkit.

Is it possible to have Data Assist create two versions of the Search/Results/Detail pages.
One would be the admin access pages to allow search and modification to the database. The other would be a simple set of pages for public access on the support page without the database edit capabilities.
I know that I can create pages that can do either, but was not sure how to implement this within the same site. I have Security Assist, so would also need to set up a login for the admin pages, but not the simpler public access pages.

I see that Security Assist is at version 2 now. Would that make this easier?

Thanks again for the great support.

Doug

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

on the first step of the Data Assist wizard, you can specify the page name, for example:
results.php

for the admin version of the pages, set them to be created in a sub directory by adding the folder name in front of the page name:
admin/results.php

When creating the admin pages, select to create the insert, update and delete pages as well

when creating the public pages, do not set a folder name in front of the page names to have them created at the site root, and uncheck the option to create the insert, update and delete pages so that only the search and results page will be created.

you will need to use security assist to protect access to the admin pages, this will be the same in security assist 1 or security assist 2.

doug425125

Thanks

Thanks again Jason. That worked as well. I bought Security Assist 2, and I'm having a few problems with that. Probably best if I start a new thread in that forum, but thanks for your help with Data Assist.

Doug

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...