close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

passing discounts to secure server

Thread began 3/31/2011 5:48 pm by dallySP | Last modified 4/07/2011 7:40 am by dallySP | 1999 views | 4 replies |

dallySP

passing discounts to secure server

Hi there, I've successfully set up a discount coupon system based on your instruction in the following post which was very useful:
showthread.php?t=19042&highlight=coupon

However I'd like some addition information on the following:
1. Can I set the error message to display if the code has expired or is it best to simply remove the discount from the eCart object on expiry?

2. I'm having problems getting my discount to pass over to the secure server. Not sure if this is an issue with the cart page or the confirm. I've attached both and would be very grateful if you could let me know what I've done wrong.

Many thanks.

Attached Files
cart-confirm.zip
Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

1) You could add an if condition to show the message:

<?php if(isset($_SESSION['PromoCode']) && isset($_SESSION['realCode']) && ($_SESSION['PromoCode'] != $_SESSION['realCode']) || date("m/d/Y") > "4/12/2012") { ?>
the promo code entered did not match
<?php } ?>

2) use an htaccess rule to force the site to use the secure server for all pages to prevent transfer problems:
force-ssl-htaccess.html

dallySP

hiya, thanks for this. Trouble is I don't really want to force them to use the secure server as the site is quite large and I don't want it to get too slow. Can I pass the promo code to the secure server in the same way that the cart contents are transferred. On the cart page i tried putting this in before the secure checkout button:
<input type="hidden" name="CouponCode" id="CouponCode" value="txtPromoCode>" />
And then on my checkout page i tried adding this at the top:
<?php
if (!session_id()) session_start();
if((((isset($_POST["txtPromoCode"]))?$_POST["txtPromoCode"]:"") != "")) {
$_SESSION["PromoCode"] = "".((isset($_POST["txtPromoCode"]))?$_POST["txtPromoCode"]:"") ."";
}
?>
As I thought this would start the session on the secure server with the entered value from the cart page - but it doesn't seem to want to work - can you tell me what I'm doing wrong.
Many thanks.

dallySP

Actually I need to to correct that. I've now tried this as my hidden form field:
<input type="hidden" name="PromoCode" id="PromoCode" value="$_SESSION["PromoCode"]" />

And this on my checkout page in my attempt to load the session promo code:
<?php
if("" == "") {
$_SESSION["PromoCode"] = "".((isset($_POST["PromoCode"]))?$_POST["PromoCode"]:"") ."";
}
?>

As I thought that was slightly more intelligent - still doesn't work though!

dallySP

Ok - after a bit more head scratching I have now figured this out. So for anyone else who's interested this code works:

On the cart page the hidden form field which should be immediately before the checkout button, ie outside the repeat region:
<input type="hidden" name="PromoCode" id="PromoCode" value="<?php echo((isset($_SESSION["PromoCode"]))?$_SESSION["PromoCode"]:"") ?>" />

And on the checkout page the code to receive the promo code should be this:
<?php
if("" == "") {
$_SESSION["PromoCode"] = "".((isset($_POST["PromoCode"]))?$_POST["PromoCode"]:"") ."";
}
?>

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...