close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Confirmation email

Thread began 3/31/2011 4:46 pm by mikelally319342 | Last modified 5/19/2011 11:08 am by Jason Byrnes | 5821 views | 32 replies |

mikelally319342

Confirmation email

I currently use Super Suite. I have used the Security Assist wizard to prepare login and registration pages. However, I notice nowadays that if you register with most website, they will send you an email asking you to activate your registration by clicking on a link in the email. Why is this and do any of your products offer this solution to registration security - thanks

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

the technique is called double opt in. it is used as a security measure to prevent "bots" from registrering on your site.

see this post for detials on how it is configured:
showthread.php?t=14143&highlight=double+opt

mikelally319342

Jason, I've fallen at the first hurdle. 1 - I've looked at the Solution pack and I can't see how it is all put together. I've watched the video, and it comes to an abrupt halt at the end. When I click 'NEXT' at the end of the video it just ends. Also there is supposed to be some links on the right to click and these don't appear. 2 - Is there a sample of what code should be on the userConfirm.php page? 3 - What is recporset? - Mike

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

1) What video are you referring to? I will need some more details.

2) No there is no sample to demonstrate the user confirm page. It uses a lookup recordset to look up the random string and the user id from the querystring variables in the link, and uses that to trigger an update on the users table.

3) recporset is a misspelling of recordset, it is a typo.

mikelally319342

1. The video i'm referring to is at: user-registration/

2. ok

3. ok

Neil Beadle

We've been experiencing a Flash player issue that makes linking from one video to another problematic.

Here are direct links to each of the videos for those who are unable to progress through each video.
01_overview.swf
02_register.swf
03_admin.swf
04_setup.swf

-Neil

mikelally319342

Thanks. Okay, I'm preparing the double opt-in. I've created my database with the two extra fields 'randomString' and emailVarified'. I've created a registration page, with server behaviours for Inserting A Record and I've created a random string using 'random password' and this inserts the 'randomString' field in the database on 'submit' along with the other details submitted with the form. Next I want to e-mail this random string to the new user, so they can activate the account. The NEXT step? So am I correct in going to server behaviours and selecting Security Assist and then Email Password?. If yes, at Step 1 of 3, I've selected 'Trigger (Button)' and 'Mail for Windows'. What should I put into the server name - my account is a gmail account - and what should I put into the port. I believe it is okay to leave the rest of the fields in 'Email Object' blank. I am using WampServer/Local host to test if the email works, so do I need to do any further configerating. I think step 2 and 3 of this wizard are okay. I hope this makes sense.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

You should use Universal Email to send the email message.

see the following thread for details on configuring UE for use with GoDaddy:
showthread.php?t=19667&highlight=godaddy

mikelally319342

I'm struggling with these Registration Pages I'm trying to build using Supersuite. I've just read your reply above re Universal Mail. Before that dealing with that aspect of the pages, i need to deal with another issue which I've just encountered. I just tested my registration page and discovered that if a user went to register with the same e-mail address, it would add this record to my database - thereby giving me two enteries with the same e-mail address. To correct this, I decided to go to Server behaviours - add Security Assist (Authenticate User) and follow the step for this wizard. When I did this, a red '!' appears beside the 'Insert Record Server Bahaviour' which I set up earlier to populate my database. Have I done something wrong?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

you should not be adding the Security Assist Authenticate user behavior to the registration page.

remove that from the registration page and send a copy so i can see why it is allowing duplcate emails

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...