close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

MD5 to SHA1 Encryption

Thread began 3/27/2011 6:21 pm by dlovas275157 | Last modified 3/29/2011 10:43 am by Jason Byrnes | 6658 views | 3 replies |

dlovas275157

MD5 to SHA1 Encryption

I have a database of registered/subscribed users on a website (approx. 300) from an old site built in Adobe Dreamweaver Developers Toolbox. It used MD5 Encryption to encode the passwords.

I need to convert this database table to use with their new site (built with WebAssist).

Does anyone know a method of converting the old MD5 encrypted passwords into SHA1 encrypted passwords? Anyone else had to deal with this issue?

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Converting the MD5 encrypted password to SHA1 is not possible.
to be able to convert the MD5 password to SHA1, you would first need to be able to decrypt it. both MD5 and SHA1 are 1 way encryption schemes, meaning that they cannot be decrypted.

one way to handle this would be to have a new password column in your user table to store the SHA1 values to, and an old password column that you will store the md5 password from the old database.

On the login page, create a lookup recordset to find the entered email address and the return the old password column.

If a record is returned, and the old password column is not blank, send them to an update password page where they can enter a new password and have it sha1 uncrypted.

you would want to have them enter the email address again, the old password and the new password, use a lookup recordset again for verification before preforming the update.

It will take some expirience with using encryption, hand coding PHP and creating recordsets to get this functional, if you need hands on assistance with this, I would suggest signing up for a premier ticket.

dlovas275157

Jason,

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like people have dealt with this before.

My situation isn't that critical to move over the accounts. More important to just keep the email addresses, and I already have those.

I will not pursue this, but glad to know you guys have a method of doing so if I need to with another client's site.

THanks again.

-D.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

You're welcome.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...