close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Linking to CPanel database within Dreamweaver

Thread began 3/14/2011 5:17 am by clinton178625 | Last modified 6/10/2011 7:39 pm by jerry394338 | 4814 views | 13 replies |

clinton178625

Linking to CPanel database within Dreamweaver

Hi
I need help linking my database within dreamweaver, can anyone give me an example of a database connection from dreamweaver to cpanel on HostGator? what would be the variables as below:

Connection Name:
MySQL Server:
Username:
Password:
Databse:

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

See the following host gator support page for details on creating a database connection:

how-to-connect-to-the-mysql-database

bericson407281

I am having problems with this also. It seems no matter what combination of credentials I use, I keep getting the error of:

"MySQL Error#:2013
Lost connection to MySQL server at 'reading initial communication packet', system error: 113"

My client's account utilizes cPanel X.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Many hosts prevent a connection to the MySQL server from an outside computer, you should check the documentation for your host to determine if connecting to the MySQL Server from Dreamweaver is possible.

I recommend installing a local testing server for development rather trying to connect to the remote database.

the learning resources page has details for configuring a local testing server:
resources.php?utm_campaign=Forum_header&utm_medium=Forums&utm_source=WebAssistForums

bericson407281

But the remote database belongs to the client and that is where the final product is to reside. Not on my local testing server.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

for development purposes, it is recommended to have a copy of the database on your local testing server, then when the project is completed development, you change the database connection settings to use the remote database and upload the files to the remote.

Website development has 2 phases, local development and testing, this uses the local testing server. Then deployment, this uses the remote database.

bericson407281

Originally Said By: Jason Byrnes
  for development purposes, it is recommended to have a copy of the database on your local testing server, then when the project is completed development, you change the database connection settings to use the remote database and upload the files to the remote.

Website development has 2 phases, local development and testing, this uses the local testing server. Then deployment, this uses the remote database.  

OK, FINE.

Then assist in pointing out where to change the database connection settings to use the remote database.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

in the database connection.

go to Window -> Databases, double click the database connection to edit the connection settings.

bericson407281

Perhaps I should be more clear.

I have already installed Power CMS. I have already tested Power CMS. Both the installation and testing were performed on a hosting account that is in my name (with GoDaddy).

It now needs to be moved to a different hosting account which utilizes cPanel (which is owned/paid for by my client).

I cannot get Power CMS to connect to the cPanel account. I can connect to the cPanel account through Dreamweaver...the PowerCMS won't.

bericson407281

A day and-a-half later and still no response.

I should not have to pay $100 again just to speak with somebody.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...