close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Changing Width of Box

Thread began 3/08/2011 9:35 pm by john.hinds8802419941 | Last modified 6/02/2011 8:24 am by Steve | 3923 views | 17 replies |

john.hinds8802419941

Changing Width of Box

Hi all,

I have a vertical menu that appears to be working fine in my site. I now want to change the Item Width for the main and sub menus. I open CSS Menu Writer 2, and click on Edit Theme. I select the Box tab which displays the pixel width of the main and sub menu items to be 100. I want to increase this width to say, 120. I set the width for the main and sub menus to 120.

Now comes the issue. When the widths are set to 100 the main and sub menus look great. The sub menus begin just to the right of the main menu; however, when I change the pixel width to 120, the main menu looks good, but the sub menus look pretty bad. Rather than the sub menus begin at the right edge of the main menu, the sub menu overlaps the main menu and the left edge of the sub menu begins to the left of the main menu's right edge. It appears as if the sub menu is treating the main menu as if the width is still 100 even though I have changed the width to 120.

Questions:

(1) Is this normal behavior when the widths for both the main and sub menus are changed? It looks pretty bad to me, so I think there is something wrong?

(2) Am I missing something easy or obvious here?

(3) Shouldn't we be able to change the menu widths by menu group (main, sub 1, sub 2, etc.)?

Thanks, in advance, for any help you can provide.

Best regards,
John

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

can you post a link where i can see the problem.

john.hinds8802419941

Problems changing item widths of menu items

Hi Jason,

Here is a link to a page which will illustrate the problem I'm having. I have changed the item width from 100 pixels to 150 pixels, and the result is an unsightly overlap of the Main and Sub menu items.

Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions you may have.

Best regards,

John

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

for some reason the left attribute for the sub menus is not getting updated. in the CSSMenuWriter/cssmw0/menu.css file, change:

ul#cssmw0 ul.level-1 {
left: 111px;
}

to:
ul#cssmw0 ul.level-1 {
left: 160px;
}

john.hinds8802419941

Good morning Jason,

I'm still having no success. I, or my computer, must be challenged in some way. I made the change to the LEFT parameter as you suggested. I changed the value from 111 to 160; however, the sub menu still overlaps with the parent menu.

I originally thought that I had a corruption in one (or more) of my site files; however, this is the third site where I am having the same results.

Jason, I must be missing something here, but it escapes me.

Any more suggestions? Or did I do something incorrectly?

Thanks, and best regards,

John

neilo

Looks good to me here, Firefox 3.6 and IE.

screen capture attached

a left value of 161px would help differentiate berween levels, though.

john.hinds8802419941

Hi Jason and Neilo,

Eureka! I've had success. Perhaps my browsers had the previous information in cache, and that may be why I had no success after Jason's suggestion. I cleared the cache (which I thought I had done before because I must do it regularly when I'm making changes), and that may have done the trick.

Thanks to you both for being patient with me. I think I'm OK now.

Best regards,

John

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

ok, glad to hear it is working now.

john.hinds8802419941

Just when I thought it was safe to go back into the water

Hi all,

I cannot seem to change the width of menu items still. I have a project I'm working on, and I tried to change the menu item width from 100px to 150 px. No luck. The sub menu overlaps with the main menu. I could almost scream.

I thought I had this solved, but I was wrong.

I would appreciate any suggestions you might have.

Best regards,

John

john.hinds8802419941

False alarm! It's save to back into the water

Hi all,

I've been working on this, and I think I have the issue solved. Menu Writer 2 creates a number of menu.css files, and I previously made changes to the wrong file.

Color me red with embarrassment. I'm red faced.

Thanks, again, for your help.

Best regards,

John

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...