close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Sales Tax

Thread began 3/01/2011 7:05 pm by bob422801 | Last modified 10/28/2013 3:07 am by anonymous | 2777 views | 8 replies |

bob422801

Sales Tax

Hello,
My clients registered online business is in Washington State. According to the state tax code the sales tax amount is based on the "ship to" address. If his goods ship outside Washington State he does not charge sales tax. Is there a feature in Power Store or eCart that will allow us to set the sales tax based on the "ship to" location?

Thanks in advance.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Yes, in the eCart checkout wizard and power store settings, you are asked for the state code that sales tax should apply to, setting this to WA will apply the tax to the ship to state.

bob422801

Originally Said By: Jason Byrnes
  Yes, in the eCart checkout wizard and power store settings, you are asked for the state code that sales tax should apply to, setting this to WA will apply the tax to the ship to state.  

Thanks Jason,
I understand the fixed amount of sales tax per state that your shopping cart offers. But the sales tax in Washington State is called "Destination based sales tax" meaning the sales tax is calculated based on the destination of the shipment. Each zip code has a different tax rate. Here is the DOR's explanation OnlineSellers.aspx Its not just one flat rate for the entire state. I'm looking for a shopping cart that can calculate "Destination based sales tax"?

Thanks.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

power store wont handle that but eCart can.

you would need to create a tax rule in the eCart object for each zip code.

the zip code is stored in a session ariable named:
eCartCheckoutForm_shipping_postcode

in the tax rules, you can use the trigger "Based on session variable value"

if the session "eCartCheckoutForm_shipping_postcode" is equal to "Zip code 1"

using this method, you create a rule for each zip code using the tax rate for that zip

if the same tax rate applies to 2 or more zip codes, add those zip codes in the triggers section:
if the session "eCartCheckoutForm_shipping_postcode" is equal to "Zip code 1"

OR
if the session "eCartCheckoutForm_shipping_postcode" is equal to "Zip code 2"

OR
if the session "eCartCheckoutForm_shipping_postcode" is equal to "Zip code 3"
etc....

coryctaylor390938

sales tax

What is the session variable for the state?

I have powerstore 4.5 and ecart 4. Powerstore is not charging any tax even after I set up the rule. With ecart I can get powerstore to add the tax but I need to know the session variable to trigger it only for my state.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

the session variable for the state is named:
eCartCheckoutForm_shipping_state_province

coryctaylor390938

I am using powerstore 4.5 and I also have ecart 4.2. I can't get the tax to show when I add the trigger for my state. I set it up to trigger "based on session variable" and use "eCartCheckoutForm_shipping_state_province " as the variable and UT as the state for Utah nothing happens. I can't figure out why the tax rule from the CMS doesn't work either.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I have created a support ticket so we can look into this issue further.

To view and edit your support ticket, please log into your support history:
supporthistory.php

If anyone else is experiencing this same issue, please append to this thread.

anonymous

Nobody likes taxes, but do like to have the benefits they provide. There's been a continuing tug of war over whether state taxes are better than sales taxes, with a mixed bag of things for and against both ways of getting the public to pony up.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...