close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Sales Tax problem

Thread began 1/21/2011 3:58 pm by James L | Last modified 1/25/2011 11:13 am by Jason Byrnes | 2125 views | 10 replies |

James L

Sales Tax problem

After much trial and error and lots of help from Jason, the cart is up and running, and my client received his first order with hours of it going live, so thanks again for your help.
HOWEVER it is doing something he does not want it to do. It adds sales tax to every order, from all over the country, not just the state where he's based (Massachusetts). When I used the Checkout Wizard it skipped the Sales Tax part (sort of jumped past it, without giving me any options). I'm using Authorize.net in SIM mode.

This is what I have for code:
//eCart Rule
function WAEC_BillCart_SalesTax() {
$totalTax = 0;
if (true && (($this->GetTaxableTotal() > 0) && ((isset($_SESSION['eCartCheckoutForm_shipping_state_province'])?$_SESSION['eCartCheckoutForm_shipping_state_province']:"") == "MA"))) {
$totalTax += ($this->GetTaxableTotal() * 0.0625);//Result
}
return WA_eCart_FormatNumber($totalTax, $this->ForceDecimalsC, $this->DecimalPlacesC);
}
//eCart Rule

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

change the tax rule trigger to use based on session variable value.

If the session variable 'eCartCheckoutForm_shipping_state_province' has a value '=' to 'MA'

this will cause the rule to only trigger if the shipping state is Massachusetts

James L

I'm still confused. Isn't that what I have in the code snippet I included?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

You're right, that is how the code is configured.

can you send a copy of the eCart object file? and also a link where i can see your store?

James L

here's the link:
giclee.php

but I don't know which file is the "eCart object file"...

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

the same file you got the shipping rule code from, I need to see that file in it's entirety.

James L

eCart object file

here's the file

Attached Files
BillCart_PHP.php.zip

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

all of the rules look correct.

When I visit your site, I can only get sales tax to be applied if I set the shipping state to Massachusetts, I am not able to reproduce the problem you are reporting.

James L

Thanks for looking into this. I'll contact my client and ask him to send me copies of the invoices that had tax for other states and see if we can figure something out from those.

James L

I'm sorry, I could have saved both of us a lot of trouble if I had gotten the full story from the client. His first two orders were from people who lived in other states, but by sheer coincidence both had them shipped to friends in Massachusetts as gifts. Thats when he called me. Subsequent orders bought and shipped in the same state show no sales tax.
Case closed, and thank you again.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...