close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Getting excited!!

Thread began 1/12/2011 5:29 pm by kim420431 | Last modified 1/19/2011 7:03 am by Ray Borduin | 2811 views | 9 replies |

kim420431

Getting excited!!

Ok...I've had a good day, figured out a lot about PS4 and I've been able to even get through a few feats of customization with a great amount of assistance from the staff!! Kudos and many thanks to everyone that's helping me find myself through PS4, configuration and code. I haven't, as yet really loaded the application with much product but in general I'm getting excited about what I know I'll be able to do and I think it's going to come off a pretty classy web application.

So here's a completely new question and thread about something that's important to me. I haven't started playing with this feature yet and I'm now turning my attention to it to see what I can do, get away with, etc.

Coupons!!

I've briefly looked at the coupon system. What I want to do beyond offering discounts on specific products or a general sale system wide is this.

I have a marketing plan to help specific organizations raise some funding for specific purposes. Let's assume a coupon has nothing to do with discounting a purchase. Let's assume that I want to offer a coupon code to an organization to be used at the time of purchase. This, I hope will be reflected in the detailed record of the purchase which allows me as admin to track the number of coupons used and based on the coupon code which organization it's associated with.

Looking over the coupon configuration panel it asks for a detail field specifying the percent discount off the purchase price. I'm hoping and would like verification that I can supply the value 100% in that field to force a non-discounted price but still associate the coupon code with the purchase. My logic is this. I want the people of the organization to purchase the product at full price, but there will be an arrangement in place that a percent of the full purchase price will be donated to the organization associated with the coupon code. After going through history on sales and grouping the sales associated with a coupon code I'll be able to determine how much money needs to be set aside for that organization.

Assuming you understand what I'm getting at, is there anything here that you know with the inside information you have that would prevent me from using the coupon system in this way? I'm not saying I won't use it to discount product in the nature it's set up for, but this is a bit of a twist off the same concept without a discount applied and just using the coupon code as a tracking mechanism.

Do you think that I'd be able to use coupons in this manner? I'm getting ready to test this. I have to set up a sandbox on Paypal first so I can trigger sales, take a look at the sales records generated inside PS4 and then try the checkout using a coupon and check the purchase detail again to see if there's a coupon associated with the sale. i'm assuming that if I set the percent discount on the coupon at 100% it won't change the product price but still associate the coupon code with that purchase.

Looking forward to your response. Hope someone actually knows whether coupons can be used this way. It's really going to make my day if I can get this to work!!!

Thanks so much for all your help these past days.

Like I said, I'm really starting to get excited!

~Kim

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

No, coupon code system in power store will not be able to function in this way. The coupon code system in power store is set offer a discount on either all products, or just a few.

kim420431

So with a little testing...

I've come to realize that creating a 0% coupon doesn't trigger the coupon code on checkout. Bummer!! Wish you'd consider allowing that in the code for tracking. That's all that's required to do what I am trying to use the coupon code system for.

Beyond that, I can create a 00.01% coupon which will trigger the coupon at checkout and provides me the information on which coupon is being used. I don't think the loss of a penny is going to break me. Before I set up a sandbox in Paypal to trigger a sale and test, can you tell me whether the sales detail after the purchase will have the associated coupon information in the record? Will I be able to tell after the sale that the product was purchased on discount and which discount code was applied?

Thanks again for your help!

~Kim

Ray BorduinWebAssist

The orders table will include an OrderCoupon field that will identify the coupon used at checkout.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

kim420431

Need your help on this Please!!

I've tested this and can work around the fact that I can't set a discount of 0% by offering a 00.01% discount. This basically appears to discount the product price $0.01.

After finding out that I could execute an order with the payment gateway set to none I executed an order with a coupon code. The on screen order attaches the name of the organization I've associated with the coupon, so the person doing the order can tell that the coupon took.

The problem is the fact that neither the invoice emailed to the purchaser nor the detail order record in the storemanager reflect the coupon code. The invoice shows on a discount line and the amount and the order record detail screen in storemanager is the same. I'm going to check the data table to see if there's actually a field with the coupon code stored with the order. It appeared that your previous post indicated that this was true. If it is then can you point me to the code generating the order detail screen so I can modify the code to list the coupon code on the order screen? I really need this to work or I'm going to have to create an option list on each of the product pages and force the purchaser to select the name of the organization. That's not something I want to do. I'm really hoping that the coupon code is preserved in the data and just now showing on the invoice and the order record. If not I'm screwed and won't be able to use this the way I need to. There's got to be a way to make this work. All the information is being collected, it's just a matter of recording the coupon code with the order and then making a few changes to what's printed on the invoice and listing the coupon code on the detail order screen in storemanager. Please let me know if you can point me to the code that generating the invoice and order record in storemanager.

Thanks

~Kim

Ray BorduinWebAssist

You could reference the Session variable for the coupon directly in the emails:

<?php echo(isset($_SESSION['WA_Ecart_Coupon_ID']))?$_SESSION['WA_Ecart_Coupon_ID']:""); ?>

it should be stored in the OrderCoupon column in the stored order in the database, so you could use that to display it in the admin.

kim420431

More info about coupons

I'm using NaviCat to look at the tables in the PS4 system.

The last field in the ps4_orders table is OrderCoupon and it's the same as CouponID in the ps4_coupons table. I'm assuming that's the link. From there I can get the CouponCode and the CouponName from the ps4_coupons table.

Any idea where in the PS4 code I can find what's creating the order email sent to the purchaser and the code in PS4 that generating the order detail view in storemanager? If you can point me at the pieces of code at least I can take a look and see if I can figure out how to link the two tables to provide the missing information. This is getting a bit heady for my abilities but it looks like it could be accomplished with a little work.

In the meantime I'll try to figure out what you were talking about in your previous post.

Thanks for the help!

~Kim

Ray BorduinWebAssist

The email body is built from the associated file in WA_UniversalEmail/EmailTemplates/

You could add a recordset filtered by the coupon code session variable to look up the coupon name and display it.

kim420431

More about email invoice and coupon code

Ray,

I really need some help here! I used the line of code you furnished (which I believe has a closing bracket issue that I corrected) but can't get it to work. I've even commented out the actual code to fetch the Coupon_ID and just tried to use the simple php statement used earlier in the receipt code to check for discounts and if I put the following block of code into the receipt.php code I don't even get an email confirmation of the purchase. Can you look at the code and tell me what's preventing it from actually mailing the invoice confirmation?

<?php // THIS IS A SECTION OF CUSTOMIZATION CODE TO INSERT A COUPON CODE DECLARATION IN THE EMAIL RECEIPT ?>
<?php if ($WA_Store_Cart->GetDiscounts() > 0) { //Begin Show Region ?>
<h3 style="font-size:medium; color:#3476a3; /* Accent10 */ margin:9px 0 3px 0;" >Coupon Redemption Code</h3>
<div style="border-top:solid 7px #3476a3; /* Accent11 */ background-color:#f0f0f0; /* BG_Light */" >
<p > <strong >Coupon Code:</strong> <?php // echo((isset($_SESSION['WA_Ecart_Coupon_ID']))?$_SESSION['WA_Ecart_Coupon_ID']:""); ?>
</div>

<?php // THIS ENDS THE SECTION OF CUTOMIZATION CODE TO INSERT A COUPON CODE DECLARATION ?>

This was placed before the <?php if(!WA_Auth_RulePasses( line of code.

I've actually commented out the code that echo's the coupon_ID and just checking on if the GetDiscount() function is > 0 which I know it is and then just writing out an html div with a heading and text and can't get it to execute and mail the invoice. What am i doing wrong?

Ray BorduinWebAssist

This code actually looks correct. What page did you update? Maybe send me a .zip file with the updated page and I'll test it in my local powerstore installation and debug what might be happening.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...