close ad
Databridge V2 with MySQLi support IS Now Available!
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Page corruption displayed

Thread began 10/30/2010 1:39 am by FrankJay | Last modified 11/04/2010 4:24 pm by Jason Byrnes | 1431 views | 10 replies |

FrankJay

Page corruption displayed

For the last week I have been working successfully on the same project following the tutorial on adding styles to be available on the HTML editor. In particular the following file:

contents_update_ContentValue1.php

Where I open the instance of HTML editor and select edit to customise the available styles.

Out of the blue, the page is now displayed in gibberish:

See attached. (gibberish text.txt)

The weird part is that this gibberish text is both on separate instances of the project on my laptop and my PC. On both machines, I use Windows XP Pro and Dreamweaver CS3

Another issue on the same project on the live server results that the page is not centred in Firefox and IE8. However the page is centred when viewed on the browse IE7. The containing div has a width and margin 0 auto.

nabana1/

Any assistance on the above are two issues is much appreciated.

Attached Files
gibberish text.txt
Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

where do you see the giberish? IN the browser? or in Dreamweaver? Can you provide a link.

For the positioning issue, edit the sitesculptor_css/content.css file.

change:
#outerWrapper {
margin: 20 auto 0 auto; /* Sets the margin properties for an element using shorthand notation (top, right, bottom, left) */

to:
#outerWrapper {
margin: 0 auto 0 auto; /* Sets the margin properties for an element using shorthand notation (top, right, bottom, left) */

FrankJay

content_update_ContentValue1.php

Greetings Jason,

The gibberish is displayed within Dreamweaver in design view. Usually the page is displayed showing the HTML editor logo. When I select this, I can click on edit in the properties display window and do the changes I require.

At the moment, all I see in design view, is the attached text file in my previous posting.

Find attached the file: content_update_ContentValue1.php. This is the page that displays the gibberish in design view.

Thanks for your help.

Attached Files
contents_update_ContentValue1.zip

FrankJay

What Next?

Pls help. I'm really falling way behind on this project.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

is this the file in the HTMLEditor/Custom folder?

you should not be editing this file directly.

you should be editing the admin/contents_results.php page.

FrankJay

Originally Said By: Jason Byrnes
  is this the file in the HTMLEditor/Custom folder? A: Yes it is

you should not be editing this file directly. A: I am not. I am merely following a tutorial on the following topic" Adding Custom CSS Styles To Content Area" that tutorial suggests using the file in question to access the HTML editor to customise the styles available to the content area.

you should be editing the admin/contents_results.php page.  

Thank you for your response Jason. I followed the tutorial in the last posting of the above thread. The result I achieved was exactly what I wanted to get. I wanted to re-do the tutorial again to add additional styles to the content area. This is when the gibberish is displayed on the page.
My problem right now is I don't know what is causing this and how to correct this. Any further ideas?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I am not familiar with the tutorial you are refering, can you provide a link please.

to edit an html editor instance, you do not edit the page in the html edit folder, you edit the page it was applied to. In this case the admin/contents_results.php.

the code that ios displayed on the page in question is because the file has a php extension, it is showing the javascriot code ion the design view.

this is not a problem, this is the way this update page is supposed to be.

FrankJay

My embarrassing fault

Your reply has been most helpful Jason.

The tutorial/instruction I was referring to is:
showthread.php?t=13559&highlight=Adding+Custom+CSS+Styles+Content+Area
(see last post by Neilo) with an additional link to the detailed instructions:
Setting_Site_Styles_in_HTMLEditor_SiteSculptor.pdf

Now the embarrassing part...

When reading the PDF instructions again, I realised my embarrassing fault. As you rightly pointed out, it is only the admin/content_results.php file that must be used to access the HTML editor placeholder to edit and add my custom styles to the content area. My apologies, a bad oversight.

The above PDF instruction mentions to attatch my custom stylesheet to the page. I am a little uncertain why.
1. Is this to ensure that the customs styles applied to the content using the CMS will be displayed on the user interface pages?
2. Would I need to add these customs styles to sitesculptor_css/content.css and sitesculptor_css/home.css as well?
Kindly elaborate.

I have also made the recommended changes to:
#outerWrapper {
margin: 0 auto 0 auto; /* Sets the margin properties for an element using shorthand notation (top, right, bottom, left) */
I originally added a top margin of 20 pixels to move the design 20 pixels away from the viewport. Why does this affect the centring of the page. I thought it was the auto left and right values that centred the page. Additional explanation would be most appreciated.

Thank you Jason for your patience in putting up with my ignorance and providing me with clarity and solutions to the my error.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

that tutorial is just getting the styles to list in styles dropdown so that the class can be applied to the item.

to associate the actual css that class will use, you need to attach the actual css file to the page.

you wont need to add the css to the site sculptor css files as long as you attach the css file that contains it to the pages.

FrankJay

Thanks

Thanks for all your help Jason

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...