close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Products_Insert when there are options

Thread began 8/19/2010 6:14 pm by robert222776 | Last modified 8/20/2010 7:24 pm by robert222776 | 1221 views | 4 replies |

robert222776

Products_Insert when there are options

I am having an issue with the PS3 product_insert page. It does not insert values into the "ProductLive" (via the product available for sale check box) and the the ProductStock database fields in the product table for any options (except for the default option).

Here is what happens:
1. I add a new product, filling out the entire form, with the category highlighted, and with all fields filled out, and the "live" check box checked. I check the box to add options and click finish.

2. Before I add the six color options (default plus five) on the options_Add page, I check the database via phpMyAdmin. I see one record for the product I just added, and all the fields have their values as they should.

3. I return to the options_Add form and add color as the option, and then the default value. No database record added, but I presume there is a "flag" somewhere such that first record is now associated with the default color. I add the next color. I check the database to see a record added this time, but the "ProductLive" and the ProductStock database fields contain zeros, not the values they should, based on the first record entered.

4. I complete the addition of the other four colors (total six), click finish, and the database has a total of six records, the first one correct, and the latter five with the aforementioned zeros. All the other fields such as price, weight, etc. have had their values carried forward with each record for each color addition.

5. I am now at the Products_Update page (for the default color product). If I check the "update all options" boxes for "ProductLive" and the "ProductStock" inventory, the correct values are entered into the five records that previously held zeros, and all records are now correct.

Is this the proper work flow for entering a product with options, or is this a bug? It seems like the records should have been correct without having to perform step 5 above. Please advise.

Thanks,
Robert

Sign in to reply to this post

Dani Chankhour

That is the correct work flow. When you add options, we default the product stock and the product live column to those values. And then use the Update All Options to update all the variations of that product after options has been added.

This should help in keeping inventory of those options that were added, since it is not always the case that those variations have the same stock as the default product.

robert222776

Thanks Dani.

You say you "default the product stock and the product live column to 'those values'. And then use the Update All Options to update all the variations of that product after options has been added."

Are you saying that 'those values' should be the same as for the default product (i.e. non-zero). In my case they are zero, and the 'Update All Options' must be used to finish (make correct) the entries to the database such that they reflect the proper numbers.

I think the correct flow of data should be that the default values for 'stock' and 'live' for all product options are the same, and that the Update should only be for the exceptions (when there really are differences in 'stock' and 'live' values).

I say this because after I complete the addition of the other colors and click finish, I would expect all the database records to be at the default values. Otherwise, how does one know that they are not at the default (correct) values when they are returned to the Products_Update page?

There is no message telling me that I now need to check the "update all options" boxes for "ProductLive" and the "ProductStock" inventory, in order for the correct values to be entered into the five records that hold zeros. Having to do that last step turns out to be critical. Had I did not checked the database records, I would not have known that I needed to do it.

Thanks,
Robert

Dani Chankhour

When options are added we set the stock and the product live column to 0 by default (they are not suppose to have the same values as the default product).
The intention was after options were added, to go to manage inventory page where you can make specific options live and set the inventory for those new options.

the manage inventory button is shown per product on the admin products results page.

I do understand, that it is not clear that you needed to make the last step, but hopefully visiting the manage inventory page will give you a better view of managing product with options.

robert222776

Thanks Dani. I appreciate your taking the time to explain the logic used in programming this part of the store. Overall, I am very pleased with it, and I know my client will be too.

Robert

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...