close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Framework with DataAssist

Thread began 8/16/2010 7:37 pm by Brad Lawryk | Last modified 9/03/2011 7:08 pm by neo314 | 2070 views | 4 replies |

Brad Lawryk

Framework with DataAssist

Is there any documentation on the proper workflow to use DataAssist within the Framework?

Is any or both of these correct?

1: Use as always have before, just select what template you want the forms in as usual?

2: Build the forms without inserting them into templates and include them in a page as a plugin?

3: Other workflow

Sorry, but I cannot find any documentation on this.

Brad

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I guess it depends on whether you are using the dataAssist pages as plugins or theme pages, or both, and why you are using themes or plugins.

1 and 2 from your example should work. 1 would be when using themes, and 2 would be for using plugins.

If you are trying to take full advantage of both themes and plugins in your site, then you would probably already have pages created with a theme, and pages based on your theme template and you'll want to plugin the data-assist forms into the content regions... this would mean you want to use 2.

The dataassist wizard isn't really designed with plugins in mind... which shouldn't be surprising since framework builder just came out. The server behaviors are flexible enough be applied properly to work with plugins, but by default dataassist wizard is really designed for a specific scenario because it sets things like links and redirects to the page names it creates... since the pages could now actually be plugged in from other pages.

The wizard will set the redirect pages to the plugin page, since it won't know you are using it in a plugin context, which means you will have to update the page redirects in the various server behaviors and links on the resulting pages to go to the page it was plugged into instead of the plugin page itself before it will work correctly as a plugin after running the wizard.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Brad Lawryk

Ok, so my current workflow should work.

1: Create my template
2: Convert it to a theme
3: Use Data Assist as I always have and just select the template in the DA UI

Correct? So nothing changes from the old way of using DA with templates?

Brad

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Yes, that should work.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

neo314

Originally Said By: Brad Lawryk
  Ok, so my current workflow should work.

1: Create my template
2: Convert it to a theme
3: Use Data Assist as I always have and just select the template in the DA UI

Correct? So nothing changes from the old way of using DA with templates?

Brad  

4: Apply Theme [Always] check all pages that use this template to convert all the DA pages to the theme.

Hi Ray, I hope this workflow will be improved in the next DA release. If you can't select the theme in DA, at least make it possible to create the pages with no theme and apply the theme to the pages after they are created. Why do I need to create the page with a template to use the theme instead of just selecting the theme to apply.

I find DA is faster and less prone to errors if a complex template is not applied to the page before DA.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...