close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Is this the correct solution for me?

Thread began 8/12/2010 12:17 pm by carlene | Last modified 8/16/2010 12:20 pm by Jason Byrnes | 1581 views | 5 replies |

carleneBeta Tester

Is this the correct solution for me?

Hi there!
I'm upgrading to CS5 and my site is on a PHP 5.3 server with MySQL 5.0.77 so I need to adapt a user registration system I built with ADDT to the WebAssist tools.

I have a password protected directory of my site. Within this password protected area, there is a PowerStore 3 store. There are also other custom pages within the password protected area.

I have an existing user registration database with SA1 encrypted passwords. I need to build a new registration system using my WebAssist software - and I'd like the same registration system to work with my PowerStore 3.

Should I set up the master user registration using this User Registration Solution Pack? Will it work with an existing database and SA1 encryption? Or should I just create a new one using Security Assist? OR - is it possible to adapt the PowerStore3 registration system to work with the existing database and use this for the entire site? And will this all work if these directories are in sub directories of my website. (It is like this website/wholesale/store
The wholesale directory is password protected and within a sub directory of my website, and the store being a PowerStore within the wholesale directory.)

I know that I need to upgrade my Universal Email and order the CSS Form builder. I have DataAssist, eCart5 and Security Assist as well. I'm just trying for ADDT type full integration with your products.

Thank you!

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

Niether the User Registration Solution Pack or PowerStore make use of sha1 encryption for the passwords, the user registration setup on both of these is very similar. If you would like to update the update the PowerStore or URSP you would need to make use of SecurityAssist to do so. If you have done any customizations to PowerStore already you will know that it can be tricky at times and you should work on backups of the pages first and test them to ensure that all is working correctly before implementing them into your live site.

carleneBeta Tester

Thanks for the reply Eric!

But my question remained unanswered.

"I need to build a new registration system using my WebAssist software - and I'd like the same registration system to work with my PowerStore 3. ....Should I set up the master user registration using theUser Registration Solution Pack? Will it work with an existing database and SA1 encryption? Or should I just create a new one using Security Assist? OR - is it possible to adapt the PowerStore3 registration system to work with the existing database and use this for the entire site? And will this all work if these directories are in sub directories of my website."

**see my first question for more details.

Eric Mittman

I will try to be more clear on each of these questions for you:

Should I set up the master user registration using theUser Registration Solution Pack?  

The User Registration Solution Pack does not utilize sha1 encryption for the passwords, so you would not want to setup the system with this. If you did you would need to update it to make it work with sha1.

Will it work with an existing database and SA1 encryption?  

No, it will not work with the sha1, it would need to be updated with SecuriyAssist to do this.

should I just create a new one using Security Assist?  

Updating the existing one in PowerStore or URSP would be about the same effort as creating a new setup with SecurityAssist. If you are comfortable with updating your PowerStore with Security Assist then that might be the way to go.

is it possible to adapt the PowerStore3 registration system to work with the existing database and use this for the entire site?  

Yes, you can adapt it using SecurityAssist but there is no documentation that is specific to making this update in PowerStore.

will this all work if these directories are in sub directories of my website  

There should not be any issue with using this in a subdirectory of your site so long as all of the include paths are retained and the files are uploaded to the proper locations.

carleneBeta Tester

Thanks Eric - let's assume that I'm pretty familiar with setting up SA1 encryption with Security Assist -

I'll try to rephrase my question again because it's not being answered for me.

I need to set up a new registration system to replace one that I created with ADDT. This is for a password protected wholesale customer area of my website. (So this is all nested within the root site in a wholesale directory.) Within the wholesale directory is another nested directory called store which I use for my wholesale store. I have a Power Store 3 set up in there.

I need a registration system that accesses my existing database - and would love to just use the same registration database for the nested PowerStore 3 site.

I like some of the functionality that the User Registration system seems to offer, but am wondering if I can use Security Assist to easily customize it to work as stated above.

Thanks!

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

It would be _possible_ to use the existing database for the PowerStore 3 registration system, but it will not be _simple_

the key to making it work is in the names of the columns.

look at your siting user table, and the power store user table, pay attention to the column names.

all of the power store code is going to be looking for those column names.

if you table does not use the same column names, the power store code will need to be modified to use the column names from your table. you really wont be able to do a simple find and replace, it will be more in depth than that.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...