close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

powerstore 2, menu writer not working

Thread began 8/07/2010 1:06 pm by micja | Last modified 8/08/2010 9:20 pm by micja | 898 views | 4 replies |

micja

powerstore 2, menu writer not working

I am on a Windows vista machine, using Dreamweaver CS4 with Menu Writer 2.0.3 and powerstore 2. I have the store set up, haven't been using a test server, I basically upload the pages and see if everything works okay.

We initially had no problems at all using menu writer to change the menu in powerstore 2. Site is up and running, database works great. BUT, now if I try to access menu writer to change anything at all on the navigation bar, menu writer gives me an error code (attached) and goes into a loop that doesn't allow me to get out without using task manager to shut down Dreamweaver completely.

It says it is a database error, but the database seems to be working fine. We only get the error when we try click try to actually use menuwriter.

If you need to look at the page itself, please create a ticket and I will submit the url privately.
Thanks,
Michelle

Sign in to reply to this post

anonymous

Michelle,

A lot of times when I have had similar connection errors, it has been because I have an incorrect path or root defined within my Dreamweaver site definitions for the testing server. I would probably double check that first. Another thing to check is if you are using a testing server locally - be sure that the server is actually running. I know I have forgot to start mine a couple of times and realized it after trying to connect and getting similar errors.

Warmest regards,

Brian

micja

Originally Said By: SOJO web
  Michelle,

A lot of times when I have had similar connection errors, it has been because I have an incorrect path or root defined within my Dreamweaver site definitions for the testing server. I would probably double check that first. Another thing to check is if you are using a testing server locally - be sure that the server is actually running. I know I have forgot to start mine a couple of times and realized it after trying to connect and getting similar errors.

Warmest regards,

Brian  

Hi Brian, thanks for the reply. That may be the first question I should have asked. Will Menu Writer work without the testing server? If not, then I may have a bit of a problem. I didn't set up a testing server for this particular site. I make whatever changes I need, then just do an upload to the remote. If it doesn't look right, I go back make changes, and then do it again.

Clumsy, I know. I just had a bit of a challenge getting the testing server to work with the first site we set up, finally had that one working, then went to work on this one and felt like I was spending more time getting the testing server to work than getting work done on the site.

However, if menu writer only works with a local test server, then I may not have a choice.

anonymous

Hi Michelle,

With anything that gets populated dynamically in Dreamweaver, it will at least require a working database connection - whether it is menu writer or any other server behavior. You may be able to connect to your database remotely through dreamweaver... while I don't recommend doing it that way, it is possible if your host allows for it. I prefer to make a mirror of my database on my local machine and write all code locally before uploading to the production environment.

Without a database connection and the appropriate data, though, you will have to do what your saying where you will have a trial and error of adjusting, uploading, and testing. That can get cumbersome over time... I would look into something like XAMP if you're on PC or MAMP if you're on Mac. These all-in-one server installs are fairly easy to set up and then you can even define local URLs for your testing environment. For example, I have my MAMP Pro set up where when I create a site locally, it is the same domain just without the extension. So, I would have "http://mysite/" for the local and then all I need to do is add the extension to see it online like "http://mysite.com/".'

Best regards,

Brian

micja

Thanks Brian! I did go ahead and set up a test server. Took a while, since I have more than one site using xamp. You have been extremely helpful. Thanks for all the advice. It really helped. I got the test server up and running, and now I am going to spend the rest of the evening doing some backups, and wait for another night to start revising with Menu Writer. Hopefully all my problems (there) are solved.

Thanks again,
Michelle

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...