close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Linking Navigation Bar to Data Assist Results Page

Thread began 7/13/2010 10:33 am by ginafink374399 | Last modified 7/15/2010 4:36 pm by Eric Mittman | 1411 views | 4 replies |

ginafink374399

Linking Navigation Bar to Data Assist Results Page

I'm working on a site that uses Horizontal Spry Menu bars for navigation. I've gone through the Data Assist Wizard and have a Results page that is, for the most part, working but there is one thing that I haven't been able to achieve:

How do you link the menu bar to the Results Page? This is a small site, so I don't need a search page, at least for the time being. I want site visitors to be able to click on the tab and the corresponding items to appear on the results page. I'm sure there's a simple way to do this, but I've looked through most of the documentation and couldn't find anything.

NOTE: I'm a designer at heart, not a developer, so I don't know php all that well (which is why I bought the extensions in the first place!).

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

Do you have your results page setup to search based on an item or category id? This will be the first step, you must have the results page configured with the DataAssist Search server behavior and have it setup so that you are searching the id column or category column from your products table.

Once you have it setup like this you can use the links to pass in the search values that this page will look for.

I would suggest that you get this setup with the DataAssist wizard to have it create the search and results pages for you, but do not specify any of the search criteria in the wizard. Once the pages have been created edit the DataAssist Search server behavior on the results page to look at the column you would like to search.

Once you have the results page working correctly with a search page you can then go and add in parameters to the links in the menu to have it display the results for that item or category.

If you have any trouble with this you should take a look at the getting started guide and other resources that are available on the DataAssist support page:

dataassist/

If you have any further questions about any part of this please let us know and we will help you with whatever we can.

ginafink374399

I do have my results page setup to search based on an item or category id, and it's configured with the DataAssist Search server behavior and setup to search the id column or category column from your products table.

I used the DataAssist wizard, I'm just not sure how add parameters to the links in the menu to have it display the results for that item or category.

I've looked through the support files, but I'll try again. If I don't get anywhere I'll post again.

ginafink374399

I went through the interactive tutorials, but I already have things set up that way.

My issue is that I don't want to use the search page, but I'd like to somehow insert that code to make the navigation bar links run the search and display it on the results page, depending on what menu bar is selected.

I can find nothing in the support files about how to link the Search code with a navigation bar, although it seems like a pretty logical use for the extension.

Please provide additional information if possible and/or point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Gina

Eric Mittman

If you have the results page configured to search on these parameters you are almost there. You need to ensure that your results page is looking for the $_GET version of a variable to have it work properly. You can just update the values that are referenced in the DataAssist Search wizard to be $_GET instead of $_POST.

Once the results page is set to work with the get version of the variables you can then add in the URL parameter to the link itself. Here is an example of what this might look like:

php:
<a href="thepage.php?catID=1&Search_x=1">link to the page</a>

This is just an example but the URL parameters that php sees as $_GET variables are specified in the URL after the question mark and ampersand. If you have any further trouble with this please post back with the results page in question and some example links from your current menu with information about the category.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...