close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Menu changes

Thread began 7/08/2010 9:04 pm by nathan | Last modified 5/16/2012 11:47 am by Jason Byrnes | 1487 views | 5 replies |

nathan

Menu changes

I finally got the menu (created with Menu Writer) I wanted to work with site sculptor. I used data assist to make a search page. I wanted to link that page in my navigation for site visitors. I made the change using the Menu Writer under the index.php page. However, the change does not carry over to the other pages that I have listed in the menu and I can't edit the menu on any other pages.

Is there a way to make the changes universal, so they will update on all the pages with the same menu.

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

There are two places that the menu exists in, there is the home page, and there is the content pages. To alter the menu that you see on the content pages you will need to update the content template that has the menu applied to it. These menus are separate and will need to be maintained individually.

nathan

Menu changes

I understand what you mean; however, what is the best way to do that? Site Sculptor already created the site for me and Data Assist created the search pages for me. What way would be the best to update the menu links on the content pages? Do I have to redo the site to make the changes (CSS menu writer and site sculptor again, then Data Assist)? Any assistance would be great. I can't seem to use CSS Menu Writer "edit contents" function on the content pages, just the home page. Is there a way around that?

Thanks in advance for any help

Nathan

Eric Mittman

The menu is not applied to the content pages, it is only applied to the home page (index) and the content page template in the Templates folder. This is where you need to use MenuWriter to update the menu.

If you want to add new pages to the site you would need to recreate the site with SiteSculptor first, but if you are just trying to update the navigation then you should be able to do this by editing the menu that is on the content page template file in the Templates folder.

dan317597

How can this be true? (If it is, it's a fatal flaw!)

Originally Said By: Eric Mittman
  If you want to add new pages to the site you would need to recreate the site with SiteSculptor first, but if you are just trying to update the navigation then you should be able to do this by editing the menu that is on the content page template file in the Templates folder.  

What?! If I understand correctly what Eric writes here, this appears to be a MAJOR shortcoming of this brilliant program. If I simply want to add a page to the site (and, pray tell me, when have you known of a website that NEVER needs a page added?), I have to RECREATE the ENTIRE site?!?!?!

Please tell me this is not true! . . .

I am a newbie with these WA tools, and I was so hopeful they would provide me with SHORTCUTS in building AND MAINTAINING modern websites. But a scenario such as this (recreating an entire website when I need to add a page) is the kind of news that would make me hesitate to use the tool in the first place.

(barely hopeful at this point),
Dan

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

this thread is talking about 2 different products:
Menu Writer
Site Sculptor

Site Sculptor is a tool for creating your website layout. It is not intended as a tool for managing the website.

to manage the website once it has been created, Dreamweaver is the tool to use.

you can create a new page based on the site sculptor template, then you would need to edit the menus to add this new page to the navigation.

to do this, you would need to edit the menu on the Index page and the menu on the site assist template in the Templates directory.

neilo

This post has been deleted.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...