close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Digital Downloads & Site Root

Thread began 6/08/2010 6:49 pm by mora398588 | Last modified 6/09/2010 9:13 pm by anonymous | 1468 views | 3 replies |

mora398588

Digital Downloads & Site Root

I use Yahoo Web Hosting and my web site is on a shared web hosting server. It appears, after speaking with Yahoo, that I am unable to create a new folder outside my root folder. They explained that I could create a subdirectory within my root and apply password security to keep the public out; however, I am uncertain if this option will work with the creation of a download center.

Are there any options to consider? I really need a create a download center for the digital goods my business is looking offer. Can Digital File Pro allow for the access of a password protected subdirectory within my root folder? In other words, can I enter a user name and password into digital file pro to allow access for product download? Is there a way to house my digital files within the subdirectory, but have any prying eyes redirected to the download center within their user account?

I am open to options.

Thank you.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

No, digital file pro cannot pass a username and password to access a password protected directory.

Really the only way to protect files that you offer for download using digital file pro is to place them outside of the site root where they cannot be accessed using a URL. this the only 100% certain way to ensure that a user cant access the file directly.

the only other option that I can come up with that is still not 100% secure, is to give the file a random name:
8cbcbdb8bd7d27c6ff17a196ae27c268d1d2d057.jpg

in your database store this name and the friendly name:
myimage.jpg

in the download file server behavior, link the File Name to the encrypted file name "8cbcbdb8bd7d27c6ff17a196ae27c268d1d2d057.jpg" and link the Save as option to the friendly name "myimage.jpg"

this way the file name on the server behavior is not very easily guessed, and it is given a friendly name in the save as dialog box.

mora398588

Do you know of any third party FTP services in which I may consider as a secure site to upload my digital products and reference with digital file pro? Also, if I am ultimately unable to secure my documents, is it possible to insert code that will redirect the user to my login page?

anonymous

Originally Said By: mora398588
  Do you know of any third party FTP services in which I may consider as a secure site to upload my digital products and reference with digital file pro? Also, if I am ultimately unable to secure my documents, is it possible to insert code that will redirect the user to my login page?  

Do you, perhaps, mean hosting services? FTP is just file transfer protocol - or the means in which you move files around to the server and back and forth.

If you are looking for hosting that allows "below root" publishing, I would recommend a company like Little Oak: www.littleoak.net/

They have tremendous customer support, uptime is great, features are spectacular, and the cost is great too considering the kind of support they have. And I think they have what you want... on the main account, you have the Primary folder. Under that is your "www" folder which will hold your documents accessible to the public. But, you can also create as many directories as you like under the primary and you can password protect those directories however you see fit.

Best regards,

Brian

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...