close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Moving from localhost to service provider (go daddy)

Thread began 6/03/2010 5:57 am by bsteve2004309526 | Last modified 6/08/2010 10:06 am by i.edwards384429 | 2755 views | 4 replies |

bsteve2004309526

Moving from localhost to service provider (go daddy)

Hello all,

I have had a localhost (running mySQL 5.1.41) verion of Powerstore 3 that I have been working with to create my store and build out my content. I am using DW CS4 and WA content management tools to manage everything. Several of the delivered WA pages have had modifications made to them and obviously all the PHP content has been altered. At this point all is good and I am ready to upload to Go Daddy.

What recommendations does anyone have for uploading all the work I have done on my local DB to Go Daddy? Is it as simple as changing the DW site settings from my localhost to my Go Daddy settings? If I upload my current site as-is, how do I enable the database build that is apart of the PW3 setup process?

Or, do I need to create a new DW site and populate it with the vanilla PW3, get that all up and running and then populate the vanilla Go Daddy site with my changes and DB exports (from my localhost mySQL) and imports (into my similarly named go daddy mySQL)?

Has anyone else done this? If so, what problems or gotcha's have you run into?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jimmy Wu

Essentially what you're going to have to do is to upload all the files to the server that are in your local drive. Then you will have to export the database, and import it into the database on your live server. Then you will have to go into the connection file and change the connection to point to your live database server. Another thing you might have to do is to look in the database table for settings and change the Google API Key, local root and remote root to match with the server location and API key for your domain.

i.edwards384429

update

Hi

what I do is this.

Upload the original PS3 file to my Web Server and run the setup sequence.

Then I upload all my local files EXCLUDING THE CONNETIONS FOLDER.

Finaly I create an SQL dump of my local database excluding the WA settings folder. ( use php myadmin or navicat)

Run that SQl on your remote database and all data will be uploaded.

You should find it will work - always does for me.

HTH

Ian

Jimmy Wu

Thanks for the different way of working through this. Hopefully the user won't have any issues when uploading to their server.

i.edwards384429

update

Hi Jimmy

I suppose you do need to be happy creating the sql files but apart from that I find it the simplest way.

Ok a couple of times I've had to re insert a graphic but overall it does as the say "work for me"

cheers

Ian

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...