close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Site Sculptor using an imported DW template

Thread began 5/29/2010 12:10 pm by adromidon310778 | Last modified 6/24/2010 10:41 am by martin384871 | 3679 views | 15 replies |

adromidon310778

Site Sculptor using an imported DW template

OK so i got a cool free template and imported it into Site sculpter to find that the menus were not replacing the default ones in the template infact they did not show up at all.

I looked the the template and saw that the region that handles the navigation was not an editable area, so i made one for this area and went through and also made one for the footer, side navigation and a few others that were lacking

Repeated the steps to add it to site sculpter and it worked (in the preview anyway) the preview image showed exactly what i wanted replacing the menus with Site sculpter menus worked in the preview as well however after hitting finish and the extention generated all the pages associated with this page (including the CMS) i noticed that when i open a page say index.php for example in DW the navigation menu was replace by a CMS Edit button. I thought at first this was intentional as it would manage the menus via the CMS backend. I was wrong I can not get the menu to show up forcing me to yet again (like 10 time) remove all files generated by the extention and attempt to rerun the wizzard using save presets made earlier. Nothing i do seems to get the menu to stay and to top it off the foot was never replace with the appropriate links from the site ethier. I did set the footer field to the correct editable region like wise with the navigation and content as well.

Content management for the actual content part of the site works well and as expected. However without the ability to use the footer generated by the extention and the menus generated for navigation I have to spend an additional 15 - 20 minutes tweaking the template generated by Site Sculpter.

I can supply more specific information if need be please let me know what is needed I will supply it.

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I have opened a support incident so that we can look into this problem with you further.

Please update the incident and include a copy of the template you are trying to use and the steps to reproduce the problem. We will have someone reproduce it and try to find a solution.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

John LangerBeta Tester

Same here!

Hi Ray,

I too am having this trouble but this time it's a template that I built. The problems as described are EXACTLY the same though.

I'm not asking you to look into my incident but I would appreciate some feedback here please once you've sorted adromidon out.

Many thanks.

adromidon310778

Ok updated the ticket

martin384871

Same (or very similar) issue

Hi-I believe I'm having a very similar issue. I have just bought the Webassist Site Sculptor extension and so have access to some of the functionality of the Power CMS system. I also have Webassist ss menu writer. I can operate both quite OK-but what I want to do is amend a template(or design one) in Dreamweaver that enables me to give a client the ability to edit a horizontal menu/navigation bar using Power CMS.... but I can't work out how to do it. Am I looking for something that can't be done? Do I need to buy the Power CMS extension separately? I've tried copying the php code from the template and creating editable regions, saving it as a template.... no success though. Also I can't for the life of e figure out how to get the "create site sculptor page type' feature to work. I just get an error saying "Please open a Site Sculptor page derived from the content template in order to create a custom oage type"-which I've tried to do in every conceivable way but all I get is the same message every time. I am totally stuck. (I'm mainly a designer, not a developer. I'm OK with some coding but please allow for my limitations in any response). Thanks.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

In what way do you want them to be able to edit the menu bar? By adding pages to it? How would the pages be created? I'd like to understand your question better before giving the wrong advice.

I think you can probably do what you want by using the "create page as template" functionality in powerCMS and then using a recordset to get the template pages and add them to a menu... if that describes what you want.

It sounds like there could be a bug in the 'create site sculptor page type' functionality. I'll report it to have QA look into for logging a bug.

martin384871

Hi Ray. Sorry for any lack of clarity. Many thanks for swift response. I discourage clients from adding menu buttons/extra items to horizontal navbars becasue they can grow and look ugly/out of kilter etc-like when a 6 item navbar gets a 7th item thus forcing the last item to drop into a second row etc. But I would like the clients to be able to edit the text in the navigation bar buttons, or to change the page or item a menu button links to.
As to the "create Site Sculptor Page' issue I have got it to give me a dialogue box twice now-but still no success in getting the new page set up. It may be a bug as you say but I'm not prepared to report it as one as the real bug may be the one typing this post! I take it the full version of PowerCMS does a lot more than the bits of its functionality that ship with Site Sculptor (which is great). I am very impressed with Webassists's stuff-I've had some rough experiences with paid extensions (no names mentioned) but your stuff feels rock solid.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

OK, well ignore my last very complex response.

You could do this manually by adding rows into the necessary tables and adding cms code references to the corresponding rows. This would take a pretty good understanding of everything that is going on, but is certainly possible.

A second option is to buy a single license of the full version of powerCMS for you. This would allow you to update the database through the powercms admin and add content areas. You could run it on your localhost and add the content you need and then use the limited powerCMS version on the live site to prevent licensing problems...

The third option of course is to get powerCMS for each live site, then you don't have to worry about running it locally and having to import and export your local database to the live site to make changes. This is the easiest, but has a per-site cost associated.

This would make it relatively easy to update the links created with menu writer to be editable with the cms.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

It should allow you to save any updates to a page created by site sculptor in the first place.

We were unable to reproduce the bug and it seemed to work for us, so the best guess is that you aren't editing a site sculptor page to begin with. That is a requirement in order to save a new page type.

So if all of your pages are cms driven, you would delete the cms reference and add static content to the page in its place, then use the save command and it should work.

martin384871

Great-thanks

Cheers Ray. I'll do that-and complex responses usually teach me something! What you suggest sounds a good solution. I'm currently aiming at starter businesses with low set up costs, I'm offering a reduced fee for limited websites to get people up and running. So licencing costs are a serous issue-Joomla is free but over complex for less web savvy clients. Web Yep is too limited for many... So Your suggested blend is good solution. Also just got your comments on the site sculptor page problem I'm having-it must be me then.... sorry if I've caused any problem-entirely unintentional. All help and very fast response really appreciated.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...