close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Radio Buttons and Other Form Elements + "cannot be null" error

Thread began 5/25/2010 9:00 pm by downloads336743 | Last modified 5/27/2010 7:12 pm by downloads336743 | 1146 views | 2 replies |

downloads336743

Radio Buttons and Other Form Elements + "cannot be null" error

Hi,

I've used Security Assist for a user login system and allow the user to change their details in a members only area.

I'm having a problem however in that when they go to update their profile it goes to a page (see attached) where all the text fields show the original details as they were entered when the person originally registered. However, the radio buttons and the drop down menu either go blank (radio buttons) or revert to the first menu item on the list (drop down). Is there a way to fix this so that the original details within the database populate the radio and drop down?

Also completely unrelated, still in SA, I am getting a "cannot be null" error if they don't fill in ALL the details. I don't want this to happen - or at least only want that on certain fields (ie some users may not have a second email address so don't want this field to be compulsory). Can this be changed so that the error only occurs when certain fields have not been filled?

Thanks for your help!

Page is attached in .txt format

Attached Files
member_user_update.txt
Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

to dynamically set select lists and radio buttons, select the list or button in design view, then click the Dynamic button in the property inspector.

Click the lightning bolt next to select value equal to and then select the corresponding column from the recordset.

the "cannot be null" error is coming from the MySQL server.

It will happen if a column is set in the database to Not allow NULL values.

you will need to edit the table in a MySQL GUI Such as MyPHPAdmin and either set the column to allow NULL Values, or provide a default value.

downloads336743

Thanks Jason,
Appreciate the quick response! I'll give it a go and get back to you if i run into any confusion!
Have a great weekend
Nic

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...