close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Events Dynamic Dropdown

Thread began 5/04/2010 2:21 pm by fabianmacs370894 | Last modified 5/05/2010 5:30 pm by Eric Mittman | 1725 views | 3 replies |

fabianmacs370894

Events Dynamic Dropdown

I have an Events Database. It has 3 tables. First main table contains the ID, Date, Event Name and Category. Second table contains the ID and Date, the fields are ie 3rd July, 4th July etc. - this feeds the date column of the first main table. Third table contains the ID and Category, the fields are ie Music, Family etc. - this feeds the category column of the first main table. I would like two search dropdown lists (Date and Category) that would filter the list upon selection ie. if someone selects the 3rd of July that it would only show the categories from that date, this would then show the filtered results on same search page.

I have used datassist to create the Search and Results page:

search.php

I have Dynamic Dropdown plugin but I just don't know how to use it to create this type of filtered menu and results.

I have attached database.

I have very little PHP knowledge.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Attached Files
db1051443_eaf.sql.zip
files.zip
Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

I think that adding in Dynamic Dropdowns will be the final part of this. In your current search and results setup are you able to enter the values and get back the correct result? You should have the search all setup to search on the date like you have described first. Once you can verify that you are able to enter the desired search term into a text field and get back the correct result then you would be ready to make the inputs select lists, and use Dynamic Dropdowns.

Post back and let us know if the page is working correctly now for you. Once it is we can discuss how to add in the select lists and use Dynamic Dropdowns if it is necessary.

fabianmacs370894

Search and Results are working!

Eric,

Yes I have it working with Search & Results page:

Check out:

results-search.php

I now want these to be dynamic as discussed using Dyanmic Dropdown - filtering the list per dropdown selection. I am unsure on how to create the relationship between these tables. Would I need any extra fields in these tables (I had attached the database on post earlier). What are my next steps?

Thanks,

Fabian

Eric Mittman

Ok, the search page looks ok. The trick to being able to use Dynamic Dropdowns is to make sure your data is organized correctly. It looks like you are trying to limit the categories based on the date. How do the dates you have listed relate to the categories? You should have it setup in a way that the parent table (dates) has individual records that relate to multiple children records (categories). If your data is not organized like this it would not make sense to use Dynamic Dropdowns.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...