close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

renames JPG to jpg

Thread began 5/04/2010 3:55 am by info97301 | Last modified 5/20/2010 10:41 pm by Jimmy Wu | 3575 views | 13 replies |

info97301

renames JPG to jpg

Hi

I hope the answer to this is simple! Using DFP, when a user uploads an image such as 1234.JPG the image is renamed to 1234.jpg. This doesn't matter on my Windows testing machine, which isn't case sensitive - so the image dislays; but on the live Linux site, the 'image not found' error is dsplayed. If I change filename in the database to lowercase jpg, the images are displayed. Obviously, I cn't continue to do this after testing.

Is there a simple setting I need to make to stop it changing capitalisation?

Thanks
Chris

Sign in to reply to this post

Jimmy Wu

There isn't a simple setting that you could set that would prevent the capitalization. So is the file that is uploaded to the directory also having the capitalization changed or is it staying as it was before?

info97301

Hi Jimmy

Thanks for replying. The image itself is renamed, but the original name is stored in the database.

(The image, and thumbnail, are uploaded properly, but as the database specifies 123.JPG and the image has been renamed to 123.jpg, the 'image not found' red square is displayed).

Thanks
Chris

Jimmy Wu

What settings did you specify on your upload behavior? I'd like to reproduce this issue on my end, so it will be easier to make a fix.

info97301

Hi Jimmy

Sorry for the delay in replying - been too busy doing other aspects of the site!

DFP is set:

the 'upload web images only' is ticked
format: keep existing format
Action: rename new file (increment)

HTH

Cheers

Chris

Jimmy Wu

To store the name of the file in the database, are you using the clientFileName binding or the serverFileName binding? The serverFileName binding has the renamed file stored in it and the clientGileName has the completely capitalized extension stored in it.

info97301

Hi Jimmy

Where would I find this out - i've had a look at the code on the page, but can't see it.

Chris

Jimmy Wu

You should be able to just do a search on the page that you have the insert into the database applied. You can search for clientFileName and change it to serverFileName (make sure you make a backup of the page before making any modifications just in case.

One test you can do is to go to the bindings panel and find the two different bindings and drag them to somewhere on the page. This will display the values of the bindings and you can see the difference there.

info97301

HI Jimmy

Nope - nothing matches that code (I've also looked in the WA_DigitalFilePro folder.

I have attached a copy of the page, if that helps.

Cheers

Chris

Attached Files
listing_pics_Insert.zip

bjgarner241692

I am having the exact same problem. In my case, it is on an UPDATE page so the server file name is no good for updating the recordset because the only way I can reliably make an update page work with DFP is to have the user copy the filename from the Select Box to the field which actually updates the db. They copy and paste a filename with JPG but DFP uploads a file with jpg.

Why is DFP changing this when most webservers are going to recognize image.jpg and image.JPG as two separate files?

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...