close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Can't Delete First Category

Thread began 4/28/2010 2:46 pm by steltenp1404491 | Last modified 4/29/2010 8:51 am by Jason Byrnes | 1375 views | 3 replies |

steltenp1404491

Can't Delete First Category

I'm setting up PowerStore 3 for a client. To figure things out, I created a test category. I then created a couple sub categories below it. I inserted one test product. Everything seemed fine, so I created 4 real categories. I then deleted the test product, the two sub categories, but am unable to delete the main test category.

Using Safari on a Mac, when I click to delete or edit the category, nothing happens. If I click the manage sub categories, it takes me to the page to add a sub category, but it never shows up. If I use FireFox, it behaves very similarly, but the text in the edit and delete buttons shifts left or right one or two pixels.

Any suggestions on what I can do to get rid of the test category?

Thanks for any help ...

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

What is the name of the category you are trying to delete, sometimes catagory names that have non standard characters in them like apostrophes will break the JavaScript, if this happens, you will need to manually remove the category name from the my sql database using PHPMyAdmin or another MySQL gui tool.

steltenp1404491

Perfect ... I wondered if there was something like that happening. The category name did have an apostrophe. I removed the apostrophe and the category behaves as expected. Thanks for the help!

One other question ... The client needs categories for "Men's Accessories" and "Women's Accessories" ... Is there something that can be done to fix the javascript so it properly handles the apostrophes or should I just keep this tucked away for future reference?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

you can create a category name with an apostrophe by using the html entity:

"Men&#8217s Accessories" and "Women&#8217s Accessories"

just be aware that if you edit the category name, it will display the apostrophe and you will need to manually convert it back to the html entity.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...