close ad
Install the LAtest Updates to Work with CC 2017 and CC 2018
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

CSS Menuwriter and Handcoding

Thread began 4/08/2010 5:59 pm by deb349904 | Last modified 6/18/2012 10:18 am by Jason Byrnes | 1343 views | 5 replies |

deb349904

Hello,

I am using Windows XP pro, Dreamweaver CS4, and CSS Menuwriter version 1.0.4.

I created the basic menu using the CSS menuwriter and imported it into my html page.
Because it was faster for me to code than to use menuwriter program, I laid out the rest of my list items straight into the html. Now that the structural part is done, I would like to be able to import the menu back into menuwriter and finish the design.

I can edit the menu easily, I can even import it through the menuwriter import tool, but only the original menu items show up. Importing from a file structure doesn't help because I lose the structure and the menu titles.

How do I update the view in menuwriter so that it sees the changes?

Thanks,

--Debbie

Sign in to reply to this post

Jimmy Wu

What kind of changes are you making on the menu? Can you send me a copy of the page you are editing so I can give it a test?

deb349904

Changes

Hi Jimmy,

My hand coded changes are below, and I have attached a screen shot of the menuwriter nav tree. I can see where if I had to, I could manually edit the treexml file, but I sure would like to avoid that.
Thanks for your help!
-Deb

<div class="topNavigationWrapper">
<div class="topNavigation">
<ul class="level-0" id="cssmw">
<li><span><a href="index.html">Home</a></span></li>
<li><span><a href="#">Big Island</a></span>
<ul class="level-1">
<li><span><a href="big_island_agent.html">Big Island - Find Agent</a></span></li>
<li><span><a href="about_big_island.html">Big Island - Climate and Culture</a></span></li>
<li><span><a href="big_island_tour.html">Big Island - Virtual Tour</a></span></li>
<li><span><a href="big_considerations">Top 10 things to consider when moving to Big Island</a></span></li>
</ul>
</li>
<li><span><a href="#">Oahu</a></span>
<ul class="level-1">
<li><span><a href="big_agent">Oahu - Find Agent</a></span></li>
<li><span><a href="about_big_island.html">Oahu - Climate and Culture</a></span></li>
<li><span><a href="oahu_tour.html">Oahu - Virtual Tour</a></span></li>
<li><span><a href="big_considerations">Top 10 things to consider when moving to Oahu</a></span></li>
</ul>
<li><span><a href="#">Maui</a></span>
<ul class="level-1">
<li><span><a href="#">Maui - Find Agent</a></span></li>
<li><span><a href="#">Maui - Climate and Culture</a></span></li>
<li><span><a href="maui_tour.html">Maui - Virtual Tour</a></span></li>
<li><span><a href="#">Top 10 things to consider when moving to Maui</a></span></li>
</ul>
</li>
<li><span><a href="#">Kauai</a></span>
<ul class="level-1">
<li><span><a href="#">Kauai - Find Agent</a></span></li>
<li><span><a href="#">Kauai - Climate and Culture</a></span></li>
<li><span><a href="kauai_tour.html">Kauai - Virtual Tour</a></span></li>
<li><span><a href="#">Top 10 things to consider when moving to Kauai</a></span></li>
</ul>
</li>
<li><span><a href="#">Molokai</a></span>
<ul class="level-1">
<li><span><a href="#">Molokai - Find Agent</a></span></li>
<li><span><a href="#">Molokai - Climate and Culture</a></span></li>
<li><span><a href="molokai_tour.html">Molokai - Virtual Tour</a></span></li>
<li><span><a href="#">Top 10 things to consider when moving to Molokai</a></span></li>
</ul>
</li>
<li><span><a href="#">Lanai</a></span>
<ul class="level-1">
<li><span><a href="#">Lanai - Find Agent</a></span></li>
<li><span><a href="#">Lanai - Climate and Culture</a></span></li>
<li><span><a href="lanai_tour.html">Lanai - Virtual Tour</a></span></li>
<li><span><a href="#">Top 10 things to consider when moving to Lanai</a></span></li>
</ul>
</li>
<li><span><a href="#">Our Services</a></span>
<ul class="level-1">
<li><span><a href="#">Our Screening Process</a></span></li>
<li><span><a href="#">About the Agents</a></span></li>
<li><span><a href="#">Companies we work with</a></span></li>
</ul>
</li>
<li><span><a href="#">Information Center</a></span>
<ul class="level-1">
<li><span><a href="#">Jobs in Hawaii</a></span></li>
<li><span><a href="#">Starting a business</a></span></li>
<li><span><a href="#">Retiring in Hawaii</a></span></li>
<li><span><a href="#">Schools in Hawaii</a></span></li>
<li><span><a href="#">Living Off the Grid</a></span></li>
<li><span><a href="#">Shipping your Car</a></span></li>
<li><span><a href="#">Moving Interisland</a></span></li>
<li><span><a href="#">Moving from the Mainland</a></span></li>
<li><span><a href="#">Mortgage Service</a></span></li>
<li><span><a href="#">Credit Repair</a></span></li>
</ul>
</li>
<li><span><a href="#">Media</a></span>
<ul class="level-1">
<li><span><a href="#">Press</a></span></li>
<li><span><a href="#">Blog</a></span></li>
</ul>
</li>
</ul>
<script type="text/javascript">if(window.attachEvent) { window.attachEvent("onload", function() { cssmw.intializeMenu('cssmw'); }); } else if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener("load", function() { cssmw.intializeMenu('cssmw'); }, true); }</script>
</div>
</div>

Jimmy Wu

So you made changes directly in the menu.php file or if you're using an html file, directly on your page. Menu writer uses the treexml.xml file to determine the structure of the menu, so that's what you'll have to edit, not the actual display code of the menu.

dan317597

Originally Said By: Jimmy Wu
  So you made changes directly in the menu.php file or if you're using an html file, directly on your page. Menu writer uses the treexml.xml file to determine the structure of the menu, so that's what you'll have to edit, not the actual display code of the menu.  

Hmmmm . . . A few questions here and clarifications requested:

First, is it not true that simply editing the treexml.xml file does not actually update the menu.php (and therefore the site's menus) UNLESS and UNTIL the Menu Writer wizard is executed again? (I say this because I was wondering, like the starter of this thread, how to change the menus by hand because I find the wizard rather cumbersome. I was glad to find the answer here, but when I edited the XML file, my menu.php file did not change. I then tried the 'Edit menu' button to launch the wizard. I could see that the changes made to the XML were indeed reflected therein. I didn't have to actually do any editing within the wizard, but I continued to the "Finish" button, let it rebuild, and then saw my changes reflected.)

SO: If this is true, it's IMPORTANT INFORMATION!

Second: The site I'm working on was created by Site Sculptor, and has PowerCMS included. Again, it's not documented anywhere that I can find, but my observation is that the path that Jason indicates (in another thread - showpost.php?p=32233 - when he writes, "the menu structure is stored in the CSSMenuWriter/cssmw/treexml.xml file.") is NOT the path for such a site. The xml at that location is for the CMS admin page, methinks. Instead, the actual content pages menu is at CSSMenuWriter/cssmw_content/treexml.xml.

Confusing, yes. Almost enough to drive me back to the wizard! Agh! ;-)

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Yes, editing the xml file will not have an effect on the menu.

the XML file is used by the wizard, to make changes to the menu, you should edit the menu.php file instead.

Site Sculptor paths are slightly different, the menu file for the home page is at:
CSSMenuWriter/cssmw_home

and the content pages are at:
CSSMenuWriter/cssmw_content

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...