close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Connect to data base question

Thread began 4/05/2010 9:48 am by chadhuskey391193 | Last modified 6/17/2010 12:05 pm by Eric Mittman | 1695 views | 5 replies |

chadhuskey391193

Connect to data base question

How do you setup a form to send it's results to a database? This seems like the most simple question in relation to form builder, but there's nothing in the getting started guide about how to do this. I have created a basic MySQL database to collect the info, but I'm not sure how to do this. Is there documentation on this?

I also have dataassist, but it seems like overkill to have to use this. Even if I do I haven't seen any steps in the documentation for either product on how to use them together.

The rest of this post is a bit of my ranting, so here goes.

The reason I bought these extensions was due to the fact that I don't program and was hoping to be able to take my designs and create sites without getting a programmer involved. I think that's a fairly common situation and seems to be how the extensions are marketed. I have spent literally hours frustrated with trying to get these extensions to do what I need done.

Most of the resolutions I've read in the forum involve wading through the code and fixing things in that manner. That's exactly what I've tried to avoid. I've spent $500+ on a software package that is wizard driven and keeps me out of the code, but I haven't gotten anything to work for me yet.

If this wasn't an issue, then I don't see the reason why the PHP solutions are now being marketed by WebAssist. Obviously those solutions exist because it's not a simple task to take the extensions and make them work together. But that's exactly how they are marketed. I'd be tempted to purchase the PHP Solution Suite, but I can't say I have total confidence in the products at this point, and I really don't want to throw good money after bad.

I'm sure that if I was very proficient with coding and Dreamweaver I wouldn't be having these problems. I'm also sure that if I had known that knowledge was a prerequisite I wouldn't have made the purchase.

I also realize that in the hands of people who know what they're doing these extensions can save them tons of time, but I really don't think that's properly represented by the marketing. The marketing, at least to me, reads that these tools are for people who don't have a back ground in coding and for the most part don't know how to build websites.

I know I'm not the only one that has had this issue, I've read other posts with similar sentiment. I also have to say that the documentation leaves a lot to be desired. With products of this complexity having great documentation is very much needed.

I'm honestly close to the point of chalking up the money I've spent on the extensions and just moving on.

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

All that you need to do is apply the DataAssist insert server behavior to the page. You just select a column, then for the value click on the lightning bolt and select the corresponding form field for that column. That is it, it is no different than adding a DataAssist insert to any other page.

russell328616

Database

Originally Said By: Eric Mittman
  All that you need to do is apply the DataAssist insert server behavior to the page. You just select a column, then for the value click on the lightning bolt and select the corresponding form field for that column. That is it, it is no different than adding a DataAssist insert to any other page.  

I have the same question....Could you please be more specific??

Thanks

Eric Mittman

The response that I made was simply to apply the DataAssist Insert server behavior to the page. What is the problem that you are experiencing trying to add the insert to the page?

chadhuskey391193

I've had the chance to revisit using WA extensions recently due to some projects that have come up and I feel like I've gotten "over the hump". I'm starting to see and understand the power and usefulness of these extensions. I was definitely speaking out of frustration from my previous post, but it's all starting to make sense now. I've crossed over and become a fan :)

My only suggestion to WA would be to create the documentation with a complete novice in mind. I know the documentation is fairly straightforward, but I did have some issues going through it and there were things like inserting the dataassist behavior into a form that I didn't see referenced. Probably because it seems very obvious, but being completely new to Dreamweaver I'm still learning my way around the menus and setup.

Anyway, just wanted to post a little bit of positive feedback because I think it's definitely due.

Eric Mittman

Thanks for the update and the feedback, it is appreciated. Our documentation process and style is something that we are always working on and this type of feedback helps us greatly.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...