close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

how do you turn off read only

Thread began 3/30/2010 10:02 pm by chssagmi366905 | Last modified 12/01/2022 8:22 am by Ray Borduin | 5621 views | 7 replies |

chssagmi366905

how do you turn off read only

The message Jason gave the other day about how to turn off read only so that the rules group would work did not say how to turn read only off. I am having the same stupid problem and I can't get rules to work or stay

Sign in to reply to this post

neilo

Hiya,

You don't say under which scenario you want to remove read only, but if your files are in DreamWeaver, on your local machine, then in the files panel, right click the top level of the folderand files that are read only, and select 'Turn off read only'.

You can do the same to your files and folders in remote view, but you would be advised to press the 'refresh' symbol in the files panel tool bar, and check that the change has stuck.

If your folder containing read-only files is elsewhere on your computer, then right click on the folder (or file) and select 'Properties'. Uncheck the Attributes checkbox: 'Read-only (Only applies to files in the folder) and click 'OK' thed select either 'Apply changes to this folder only', or Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files'.

When they are uploaded to the server, it is always worth checking that the read-only is still removed.

Cheers.

chssagmi366905

changes not taking effect

I have clicked on the folder containing the homepages that I'm trying to protect by group, "turn read only off" which is black and nothing happens. The indivdual files are greyed out.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

can you please post shot to illustrate the problem you are having so we can get a better understanding.

chssagmi366905

no screen shot

Sorry but I don't know how to make a screen shot. I am using dreamweaver cs3. All the rules show up in the rules manager list but only 3 out of the 25 new rules show up in the group manager list that I need for the different homepage levels I'm trying to do. No matter what I do they don't stay in group manager definition so that page access is not working. The folder that contains the homepages, when I right click to show the menu, "Turn off read only" is in black letters but when I click on it nothing changes. When I right click the indivdual homepage files within the folder the "turn off read only" is greyed out. I am lost and frustrated.
Thanks

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I have created a support ticket so we can look into this issue further.

To view and edit your support ticket, please log into your support history:
login.php

anonymous

Showing read only

Please I'm anxious here, I'm having same issue don't know what to do.. Website I have been working on for some month launching it few days from now, showing read only, please help me, I'm really worried here.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Please describe the exact issue you are having. What says the file is read only? When does that happen? You may have to adjust the permissions on the file from the server if it was marked read only somehow and can't adjust the permissions on your local computer.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...