close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

database setup for digital downloads

Thread began 3/15/2010 11:51 am by DavidIIM | Last modified 3/16/2010 10:54 am by Dani Chankhour | 662 views | 1 replies |

DavidIIM

database setup for digital downloads

I am new to setting up databases and I am looking for more detailed explanation of the eCommerce mySQL Database. It looks like it has all the tables I needs to do what I am trying to do, but I am not sure how to put it all together. I have added products by creating a .csv file and importing, and I have added a few options to the options table, but I want to make sure I have the categories and options tables set up properly before I go adding the other hundreds of products I have to add.

The site I am building is marketing music downloads. I want to make available for each track the option of downloading in mp3, mp4, cda or other formats. Since the digital download location will be different with each option where do I put the download location.

Also, I want to be able to put each album or maybe even track in more than one category. Is there a way to do that since the products table only has one column for a categoryID.

Since I am going to make each album downloadable as a package how do I set that up. Will I add each album as a product? Will I then put all the files of that album in a zip file and link to the zip file? Your ideas along these lines are appreciated as well.

I do realize that I am going to need to set up a couple tables that were not in the eCommerce mySQL database like Album and Artist in order to make the tracks searchable by those things. I also know I need to get all that set up from the beginning so I am not recreating the whole database several times to get all the features I am looking for. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated!

Sign in to reply to this post

Dani Chankhour

For the location for the download, you should organize them in a folder for each type, and based on what format the user clicks then you could pull the requested file from that specific folder.

linking the track and albums into multiple categories requires an additional table to join the product table and the categories table. so you will need a product table and then a categories table and then a third table (product-categories table) which will have the category id and the product id to link the two tables.

for downloading albums, i think you will need to add it as a separate product and you will need a way in the database to indicate that.

as far as the database structure, this link have a database you could use as a starting point:

creating_download_center.php

which i think will be sufficient enough for your purposes but you are going to need to add the options tables and the tables needed for the categories.

Sign in to reply to this post

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...