close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Deleting Catagories

Thread began 3/01/2010 5:38 pm by mantisdigital1400848 | Last modified 3/02/2010 3:18 pm by Dani Chankhour | 1243 views | 3 replies |

mantisdigital1400848

Deleting Catagories

I created a catagory and then subcatagories inside of that.

I tried to create a new, Main Catagory with the same name as one of the subcatagories in the other main catagory.

I got a message that said there is already a catagory with that name.

Ok.

So, I deleted the subcatagory with the same name

Then, tried again to create a main catagory with the same name as the subcatagory i just deleted.

Still, I am receiving a message that says that there is already a catagory by that name.

What is the possible problem and how can i avoid it in the future? and...

What is the most immediate solution to being able to create that main catagory?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Sign in to reply to this post

Dani Chankhour

I was not able to reproduce the issue.

I created a category "main" and a sub category "sub" and then i tried to add a main category "main" and i got the message as you explained. So i deleted sub category "sub" and i was able to add "sub" as a main category.

Did my steps follow your steps or am i missing something here?

mantisdigital1400848

Thank you for looking into this.

What i did exactly was create a Main Catagory called Art Supplies.

Then I created a subcatagory called Painting Supplies

Inside of Painting supplies i created a list of subcatagories. They were:

Canvas, Paint, Brushes, Easels, Canvas Board, Markers, Pencils

Then, i decided to make all the subcatagories into main catagories instead of being sub sub
so...

I already had products listed inside of brushes so instead of deleting the brushes sub catagory,

I tried to create a main Catagory called Brushes. Thats when i got the error message informing
me that there is already a catagory nameed brushes.

I then prepared to delete the sub catagory called brushes and saw a notice that said all my products that are inside of the brushes subcatagory would not be effected if i delete it.

So i decided to delete the entire main catagory called paint supplies and start over.

After deleting the Paint Supplies catagory, I tried to create a main directory called brushes.

Thats is where the problem is. The message tells me that brushes already exists. But the program does not offer any way to delete it.

I figured it probably still exists in the database. Is there any way to manually delete it from the database without breaking anything or having to reinstall and reconfigure the whole store?

I appreciate your help with this matter. Thank you.

Dani Chankhour

Ok, i see the issue now. It seems that if you delete a main categories that have sub categories then only the main category is being removed.

If you want to make the change in the database, then in your powerstore 3 database, open the ps3_categories table and i would suggest to just renaming the categories to something else. Because deleting those categories will require more work.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...