close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

links aren't working

Thread began 2/25/2010 10:27 am by ant.knott394719 | Last modified 3/03/2010 7:37 pm by Dani Chankhour | 2232 views | 13 replies |

ant.knott394719

links aren't working

I don't have any extension problems today but there is a major problem with my site, hopefully its a common issue with an easy fix.

I've created my site and uploaded everything to the hosting company but the links aren't working, i know why though. For some reason when you click on a link it has the name of the site folder immediately after the .com
If i delete this name from the url so that there is just the site name followed by the page name and then press enter hey presto the page appears. What should i be doing to get rid of this name and get the correct url to appear when you click on the link.

thanks in advance for any help you can give me with this.

Sign in to reply to this post

Dani Chankhour

Can you post a link to your website with an example so i can see the result you are getting?

ant.knott394719

posted link

It is only happening with the menu in the top navigation, all the footer links work fine. I think it might be a problem with the way the files are organised on the hosts server so i'll have a word with them as it may be a problem there end and if it isn't i'll come back here.

Dani Chankhour

Are you using CSS menu writer for your menu? if yes, you can post your question in the CSS Menu Writer section with a link to your page and we should be able to assist you if the issue was not a server issue.

ant.knott394719

The assumed root assumes wrong?

The hosting company were not very helpful, apparently they don't deal with development issues but i was only asking them whether it was a development issue or if it was a problem on the hosting side. Anyway, i'm assuming from there response that it is a development problem.

At the moment if i click on the 'about us' tab in the menu the url appears as
Latineyes/aboutus.php[/url] whereas in order to view the page it needs to be aboutus.php[/url]

When i select view source in the safari web browser it shows the links to be
<li><a href="/Latineyes/index.php">Home</a></li>
<li><a href="/Latineyes/aboutus.php">About Us</a></li>

i was going to try deleting the latineyes/ bit manually but when i went into menu.php
the link is like this (below) so i didn''t.
<li><a href="<?php echo($assumedRoot); ?>index.php">Home</a></li>
<li><a href="<?php echo($assumedRoot); ?>aboutus.php">About Us</a></li>

i thought i had better ask for your advice instead.
thanks

Dani Chankhour

Correct, your setting in menu.php should be just a "/" since you are in the root of your site. I think the issue is that you have your site defined locally in Dreamweaver inside a latineyes folder which is why the link are behaving the way they are. I guess you will just need to make your updated locally and before you go live, remove the latineyes folder in the top of menu.php, or you could set a local root different than a remote root as follow:

$WA_localRoot = "/Latineyes/";
$WA_remoteRoot = "/";

ant.knott394719

Thanks for this. I went into the css menu writer folder and changed the remote name to "/" in all of the menu.php files and now all of the links are working perfectly. I did find one more minor problem with the site though. In my admin section, the insert and update items doesn't work properly, it adds the data ok but the image upload doesn't seem to work (no image is showing), it works fine on my local site but not on the live site which is a bit strange. I was wondering whether it might be connected to the problem i have just had in some way. I'm not sure. Do you know what might be causing it? thanks

ant.knott394719

insert and update images works fine locally but not live

Have no idea why the insert images works fine locally but not on the live site. Its probably something really simple but the only thing i could think of was that it might be a permissions problem so i went onto cPanel and made sure these were set as read, write and execute for user and group but this made no difference at all. i've included the code incase you need see if there is a problem with it. thanks

Attached Files
items_Insert.php.zip
items_Update.php.zip

ant.knott394719

was a minor problem but now a big one.

In anticipation of a response on the insert / upload problem i decided to re-put the entire site just to make sure the host server had all the necessary files but unfortunately in doing so i've created a major problem in that you can't access the site at all now. I'll have to get onto the hosting company now to see if they can sort this out for me (again) as i had the very same error message the first time i tried to access the site after i originally transferred the files over. Not sure what causes it? In the meantime, if you have any thoughts on the insert/upload problem please let me know as soon as you can. many thanks

Dani Chankhour

I could not see any issue with the code you have. And since you said it works on your local server and then it must be a permission issue as you said.

When you insert an image, is the image being uploaded to the profilethumbs folder? Do you see the image there?

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...