close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

MySQL Database, establish with more fields than you think you'll need ?

Thread began 2/24/2010 8:55 am by bbifl346249 | Last modified 2/24/2010 12:02 pm by Eric Mittman | 2028 views | 1 replies |

bbifl346249

MySQL Database, establish with more fields than you think you'll need ?

I'm creating a site with user registration and a store for electronic downloads. I'm going to use WebAssists e_commerce database, as my starting point.

I also want to offer, in my store, licenses to use my online products for a period of time.

As an example, I could have a product that my users login to, which is an online flash application. The user will have purchased a license to use this product for a set period, from my store.

Do you have any suggestions as to the fields I should add to your e_commerce database to allow me to do this ?

What about a DetailLicenseExpiry value in the OrderDetails table ? or should I put it in the Products table, or should I put it in both on the basis that if I don't use that field, its no big deal, but better to have the fields in place before I start creating my PHP pages.

Any words of wisdon will be greatly appreciated.

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

It does not hurt to have the extra fields in case you need them but it is not the most efficient way to go about it.

Ideally you would contemplate all the data and details that you will need to make the site function in the way you desire then create or modify the db schema based on your requirements.

If you are going to offer limited licenses then how you would like to make use of them will determine how the info should be stored. If there is only ever a single licensing option then it would make sense to store that duration as part of the product, if however you could have multiple license expiration for a single product and it depends on what the user has purchases then it would make sense to hold this info in a related table that corresponds to the user.

Let us know if you have any other questions and we will be glad to help you with whatever we can.

Sign in to reply to this post

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...