close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

How can I make menu consistent

Thread began 2/16/2010 7:17 am by p.woodall208922 | Last modified 2/24/2010 2:10 pm by Ray Borduin | 2235 views | 7 replies |

p.woodall208922

How can I make menu consistent

I have introduced a simple menu that needs to have consistency.

When you hover on a menu item at top level the original blue background changes to silver.
When you hover on a menu item at first level the original blue background changes to silver.
However when you hover on a menu item at secong level the original blue background does not change to silver.

How can I attain this to give consistency to the overall menu?

Please view products.php where you will see the top product works fine, the first line works fine but the second line does not.

Please do not worry about links from the top page - this menu is not complete

Thanks

Peter

Sign in to reply to this post

Dani Chankhour

The IE conditional CSS is overwriting your menu. Please change these lines of code:

<style type="text/css" media="all">
@import url("CSSMenuWriter/cssmw/menu_ie.css");
</style>

to

<!--[if lte IE 6]>
</style>

neilo

<!--[if lte IE 6]>
</style>
<![endif]-->

p.woodall208922

Menu will not work properly on IE 6 browsers

Thanks to you both for your prompt replies, however your solution will not totally rectify the problem I have. I use IE8 and the menu is fine as far as filling the width of the web page is concerned. However a friend of mine who uses IE6 said the menu did not fill the page width, but rather truncated to the menu headers to the left hand side. This is the reason I added the IE6 code.

I really think whoever wrote these scripts, at WebAssist, should have realised the problem and written it so that the menu fills the page width in all browsers including IE6 AND also allowed the menu to be highlighted at whatever level of entry one wishes to access a page.

What is the point of offering a Client half baked solutions?

I am getting concerned that the designers at WebAssist are more concerned with producing yet another version for a programme rather than making sure the program is fit for use BEFORE it is released. Witness Power Store - no sooner had I bought PowerStore 2 when surprise, surprise PowerStore 3 is released and one is expected to upgrade yet again. Micheal Liske please note we are not all rolling in money. To produce 3 PowerStore versions in under 2 years is not on sunshine. That, in my book is sheer unadulterated GREED.

Please ensure that your programs are worth buying before they are released, rather than drip feed revisions to the WebAssist community. Otherwise you may find that your Client base will diminish.

Regards

Peter

Dani Chankhour

CSS Menu Writer is a very flexible products and it allows you to customize a lot of settings. some of these settings are Advanced Feature for Browsers such as IE 6, which is why we include a separate style sheet for IE 6. This way you are able to make changes specific to IE 6. Looking at your menu in IE 6, I don't see the issue with the full width or the hover state not working, please see attached image.

In regard to your PowerSore comments, each version of PowerStore have a list features that were added in each release. After Powerstore v2, added options, more gateways, more shipping providers, ...

And with the release of PowerStore v3, we added, CMS, installer, user managements, coupons, sub categories and the list goes on.

So you could see that with each release we are trying to add features that users are asking for and that would help them in developing sites.

p.woodall208922

Not sure that answers my concerns

Hi Dani

Thanks for your reply. The basic flaw in your argument re PowerStore is that WebAssist clearly did not research the prject sufficiently well BEFORE they released version 1.

To ask customers to buy version 1 and then upgrade to version 2 and now version 3 in less than TWO years is totally unacceptable.

If WebAssist had failed to incorporate basic deficiences in version 1, then these upgrades should have been free to those who bought a clearly deficient version 1.

There are innumerable Companies who have treated their Clients with such distain. many fortunately no longer exist to continue such appauling behavior.

My comments need to be given to Michael Leske because I am not the only customer to have such views. Customers should be valued Dani not abused and exploited.

Regards

Peter

Anna Robinson

Sales and the product team are aware of your comments. There are certain cases where we add a feature to a product without it becoming a full new version/upgrade, but in most cases, we add features when we develop a new version. PowerStore would never have been developed in the first place if we included in v1 everything that is included in v3; we simply could never afford to build the solution in the first place. We will continue to add to our solutions to enhance them more and more and add the features our customers request. However, we always support one version back with bug fixes and free tech support.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

We agree, customers are valued and should never be abused or exploited.

I think you must be assuming that we could have done all of those things in v1 and sold it to you at the price you paid... had we added all of those features to version 1, we would have had to charge at least the price of Version 1 + the upgrade price in order to afford to.

We only charge as much as we need to in order to recover the development costs. By starting with fewer features, we are able to offer it at a lower price initially. Then the purchases of the initial version help fund the future updates.

Version 1 was not clearly deficient... It is not as full featured as future versions, but I think there is a very big difference. Many web sites continue to use version 1 without difficulty. The additional features are not necessary for all stores and don't represent a problem with the first version. We continue to fix bugs and do dot releases for any problems with older versions and stand behind those purchases.

We aren't a funded company. We use our profits from one version to create the next, and need to have profits from the next version in order to be able to afford to do a third. If we didn't charge for updates, we'd have to stop making them. We price our products at just enought to make back our investment. The powerstore v1 that you purchased for a couple of hundred dollars cost us tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars to create, document, and support.

We create a mutually beneficial relationship with our clients where the money they spend on our products goes directly back into making those products better. Yes you need to continually give us more money in order to upgrade, because we need to continually spend more money in order to create those upgrades.

We need to charge for those updates to fund the next round. It isn't a choice we make out of greed. We don't have any private funding, angels, or a huge endowment to allow us to work for free. I hope you can appreciate the difference between only charging enough to stay in business and being abused and exploited.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...