close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

How to make a random order number

Thread began 2/15/2010 10:47 pm by nenad391153 | Last modified 2/19/2010 9:43 am by nenad391153 | 2294 views | 6 replies |

nenad391153

How to make a random order number

Hello,

Currently when a customer purchases a product, their order number is the number from the OrderId field. We do not want out customers to have low order numbers. How could we make an order number be longer or perhaps be random?

Thanks

Sign in to reply to this post

CraigRBeta Tester

i would be tempted to add a numeric or alphanumeric string to the beginning of your order number rather than a random number, as you would want to ensure the id is unique.

in this case, you could add the characters you desire in front of the php statement...

eg <?php echo($row_WADAtblorders['orderID']); ?>

becomes

123<?php echo($row_WADAtblorders['orderID']); ?>

or alternatively, concatenate the returned php value

<?php echo('123'.$row_WADAtblorders['orderID']); ?>

nenad391153

Thanks Craig.

How does this apply to eCart and Data-Assist. Where would I be implementing the concatenation? This number should be added to the database via a successful checkout. Are there any specific pages to include your code on?

Thanks
Nenad

CraigRBeta Tester

in ecart, there are server behaviors called ecart store summary in database and ecart store details in database, usually in your checkout or confirm page.

this is where the order and order details are written to the appropriate tables.

if you wanted to store the modified order number, you could do it here, and remember you would need to modify orderid in both tables

nenad391153

Hi Craig,

It makes sense what you are saying but I'm not sure where my values would go. Attached are two screenshots of both the sections you are referring to. With a quick glance could you tell me where this would go?

Thanks, I really appreciate it!
Nenad

CraigRBeta Tester

sorry to have led you up the garden path.

having looked at this properly, i realised that the server behaviors i mentioned do not actually update the orderid, it is an auto increment.

there is a way to get a mysql database to start the autoincrement of an integer field other than 1.

here it is...

in phpmyadmin, click on the sql tab and type in the following...
(assuming your orders table is tblorders and you want the autoincrement to start at 101)

ALTER TABLE tblorders AUTO_INCREMENT = 101;

i think that shouled be all you need.

if this doesn't work, let me know, and i will try to find a more solution for you over the weekend.

Regards

nenad391153

Hey Craig, it works great, thanks man!

You always have the right answer! We really appreciate it!

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...