close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

Dreamweaver Site Definiation

Thread began 6/15/2010 9:46 am by larry268887 | Last modified 6/15/2010 8:40 pm by larry268887 | 1630 views | 2 replies

larry268887

Dreamweaver Site Definiation

Here's the problem there is so much conflicting information on how to set up a Deamweaver Site Definition it's no wonder that cssmenu writer is not compatible with site sculptor.

I've used these documents as reference.

dynamic_site_definitions.php
?id=vid0162
Adobe Dreamweaver Help

Lets first start with the remote info tag.

1.FTP Host
A.Both adobe and webassist agree that the FTP host should be the path that the hosting company provides.

2.Host Directory
A.Adobe says that this field Should be the directory that the hosting company provides you as the directory that the files are to be published to.
In my case it is elvis-parti-yorkies.com/

B.Webassist says "Leave the Host directory field blank"
I have two different websites hosted with two different hosting companies and if you leave this field blank and try to upload files to the server thru dreamweaver the files will not go into the elvis-parti-yorkies.com/ folder. I uploaded a file named test.php using this method and when you put test.php in the address bar of your browser you get the following error The requested URL /test.php was not found on this server. Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request. If you use Adobe's method the file will be found.

Conclusion:
On this point I would say that the information that webassist supplied is incorrect.

Now let's move on to the Local Info Tag

1.Local Root Directory
A. Both webassist and Adobe agree on how this field is to be filled out.
In my case this would be: C:\program_files\wamp\www\elvis-parti-yorkies.com\

2.HTTP Address
A.If the remote info tag was filled out first and you used Adobe's method the HTTP Address will be already filled in for you and it will be elvis-parti-yorkies.com/

If you used webassist's method on filling out Host directory on the remote info tab the HTTP Address will be already filled in for you and it will be ftp.elvis-parti-yorkies.com/

B.Webassist says "In the HTTP address field enter the localhost/ address to this folder. This will be something such as ’directoryname’ where ‘directoryname’ should be replaced with the sub-directory you just created."

Conclusion:
Dreamweaver ignores the (ftp.elvis-parti-yorkies.com) so the remote route for $WA_remoteRoot
1.elvis-parti-yorkies.com/ = /elvis-parti-yorkies.com/
2.elvis-parti-yorkies.com/ =/elvis-parti-yorkies.com/
3.ftp.elvis-parti-yorkies.com/ = /
4.localhost/ = /

Based upon what webassist says in their dynamic_site definitions.php file and how dreamweaver automatically fills out the http adress when the remote info tag is filled out using the method Adobe recommends the correct HTTP Address = elvis-parti-yorkies.com/ or elvis-parti-yorkies.com/.

It should be noted that if the HTTP Adress is filled out in this manor and one uses CSS menu writer the links that are generated will be wrong on the live site. Css Menu Writer uses what is after the (ftp.elvis-parti-yorkies.com) in the HTTP address field to determine the $WA_remoteRoot variable. The links will look like as an example: test.php instead of test.php.

Finally the Testing Server Tab

A. Both Webassist and adobe agree on how the testing server folder and the URL Prefix should be filled out.

Conclusion:
If on the URL Prefix field, if what is after localhost doesn't match what is after ftp.elvis-parti-yorkies.com in the HTTP Address field on the Local info tab you will get this message: The site URL prefix[/elvis-parti-yorkies.com]for the testing server does not match the site URL prefix[] specified in the HTTP Address for the site. This may cause pages using site relative links to display incorrectly at runtime. Further conformation that the correct way to enter the HTTP Address in my case is: elvis-parti-yorkies.com/ or elvis-parti-yorkies.com/.

It should be noted that CSS Menu Writer uses what is after localhost in the URL Prefix on the Testing server Tab to determine the $WA_localRoot. As an example: If your URL Prefix is elvis-parti-yorkies.com/ then $WA_localRoute= "/elvis-parti-yorkies.com/".

Reccommendation:

1.First Webassist, based upon Adobe recommendations, needs to determine the proper way to Fill out the Dreamweaver site definition.
2.Once that has been determined then they need to correct all their documentation so as their are no conflicts.
3.Then if necessary they need to recode their extensions based upon their standard published Dreamweaver Site definition.

If I'm wrong if what I've stated please point me to the correct documentation.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...