close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

ecart Object setup for delivery cost based on cart weight

Thread began 10/21/2014 11:32 am by Christopher West | Last modified 10/21/2014 1:22 pm by Christopher West | 1760 views | 7 replies

Christopher WestCommunity Expert

ecart Object setup for delivery cost based on cart weight

HI Jason, I spoke to Ray and he told me this could be something that could be helped with on the forum since its not really using custom code, but just configuring of the eCart Object.

What I would like to do is configure the eCart Object so that it can calculate the shopping basket delivery cost based on the weight total of the basket. Its in early stages of coding, as I wanted to configure it at the same time after I have run the Checkout Wizard to generate the pages. So wanted to get a head start on knowing how to configure the eCart Object (note: it be great at somepoint if there is a masterclass on the eCart Object and some of the things that can be done inside it, I certainly pay for that).

My client has a shop selling furniture so could range from bulky tables and chairs to less bulky items such as lamps. So they may delivery themsleves in their own van or use a courier. (I assume a courier if this shipping address so to far away for them to delivery in their own van).

I am storing the shipping costs related to weight in 3 seperate database tables:
ShippingCosts
ShippingLocation
ShippingOptions

Im using this structure so that I can usein future projects where the client can chose different delivery methods (but For now they cust want to delivery in the UK (which is stored in ShippingLocation and I assume they just want 1 delivery method (which is stored in ShippingOptions.

So for example

ShippingLocation has the following fields and data: (1 record)
ShippingLocationID = 1
ShippingLocationCountry = United Kingdom
ShippingCode = GB
ShippingLocationZones = World Zone 1

ShippingOptions has the following fields and data: (1 record)
ShippingOptionsID = 1
ShippingOptionsType Standard Delivery

and ShippingCosts has the following fields and data: (this is an example of 1 record so there will be many records with different WeightsTo And different CostsValue)
ShippingCostsID = 1
ShippingCostsType = Standard Delivery
ShippingCostZone = World Zone 1
ShippingCostsWeightTo = 500 (ths would be in Kg)
ShippingCostsValue = 10 (ths would be in British Pounds)

The ShippingCosts table is what I need to use in the eCart Object to calculate the total basket weight to then assign the value stored in ShippingCostsValue to the basket.

NOTE: I wanted to show the tables for ShippingLocation and ShippingOptions as the data in these tables will be used to created new records in ShippingCosts so that I have a level of flexability in creating future ShippingCosts that the client may want to add (such as next day delivery, 2 day delivery and even different countries). But for now they just want to delivery in the UK and assume they just one 1 delivery option (a delivery of a few days since its bulty furniture).

So please could you give me a run through on how to configure the eCart object to calculate shipping cost based on total basket weight please?

Chris

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...