close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

DW Links Relative to Document

Thread began 8/17/2009 9:34 am by Kevin373660 | Last modified 8/26/2009 1:55 pm by Kevin373660 | 1629 views | 3 replies

Kevin373660

DW Links Relative to Document

I am having “Broken Link” problems when creating new php web pages with the DataAssist Wizard from a “Template.” Please notify Jason Byrnes – Ticket 94937 about this post. (I had already updated ticket on Friday before this problem came to light.) It may be the cause related to our ticket and with his help we might fix a few mystery issues at the same time.

In my Site Manager the “Links Relative to” is set to relative to “Document.” However, when I create a new page from a template the link created is automatically set as relative to “Root.” Recently the site had to be recreated, so that I could login and work on it with a user login rather than as Administrator. I had used the correct relative to document setting but DW must have some hidden value that is overriding my setting?

I had to make a change to my main site template on Friday and it over wrote all of the files with the wrong link. Unfortunately, I backed up and uploaded without testing all of the pages assuming that since it was just a small correction and would not normally have affected anything. After checking all of my admin files created with DataAssist they have also been created with the wrong relative template setting.

A post in the Forum DW-Webassist include file, also mentioned finding pages created with “relative to root setting”, may work but have a red exclamation mark showing up in the server behaviours and causing java script error messages. I have been experiencing similar alerts but not sure why. I suspect it may be the same relative link issue causing them.

I need to:

1. Have the Relative to Document setting retained so that all new pages created from templates can be correctly created.

2. Correct the existing pages. Because the relative code is created automatically as part of the template creation process it is not editable from within the created pages. If I manually edit the links using Note Pad (like 400+ pages affected) Dreamweaver will not be able to track the links. Should I try the global link correction?

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...