close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

locked/Unlocked code gerneration with Dreamweaver Templates.

Thread began 2/10/2012 7:50 am by Christopher West | Last modified 2/13/2012 11:58 am by Christopher West | 5256 views | 7 replies

Christopher WestCommunity Expert

Hi there, after trying out the solution you mentioned, it doesnt work to how I need it to...let me explain...

I did a simple test...
1. in the template file I created a recordset, lets call it recordset1...I then saved and this added the code to my other pages (which was expected)
2. I did the textpad method of detaching one of my pages, then loaded it back into dreamweaver and recreated a second recordset, lets call it recordset2.
3. I then went back into textpad, and put back the "InstanceBegin template....." code, then saved and loaded back into dreamweaver....
4. so all playing nicely...until....
5. I went back into my template file...and lets say I didnt need recordset1 anymore, so I deleted it, then saved and then my other pages were updated to reflect this...
6. HOWEVER when I went back to the page that I had previously detached+added the recordset2 to, this recordset2 has now vanished...because all that code above HTML has been replaced with the code from the template file.

Im trying to work out the workflow for this, because im my project I need a template file with webassist generated code AND I am going to need some of those pages (created from the master template file) to have additional code added...But I need to have the template file flexable so I have the choice to add/edit it at a later date (in case I need extra funtionality etc). But of course I just cannot do this.

Are there any other solutions? I have purchased Webassist Framework. Would I need to create a template (without any php related coded) then create seperate php plugins (such as a plugin to dispaly a login box, a plugin to show a dynamic list) etc and then add those plugins to the template? But If I do this...I am worried the effect of this approach will have, because wouldnt there be many instances of "<?php require_once('../Connections/database.php'); ?>" ?which surely would be bad programming practice? Also If I use Webassist Framework, I have noticed that in some part it takes awat from me the WYSIWYG approach to web design? the CSS links are in the master template file and the file im working on doesnt recongise any of that UNTIL I go to view in the main browser?

Chris

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...