close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

adding "handling charge" to shipping total

Thread began 7/18/2011 5:00 pm by James L | Last modified 7/24/2011 2:19 pm by James L | 1279 views | 2 replies

James L

adding "handling charge" to shipping total

Now that the site is working, I have one more request (hopefully the last for this site...).
Jason helped me fix the problem of sending wrong weights to USPS. But now I'd like to use some calculation to send more accurate weights for multiple quantities.

This is the situation: Customers can only buy 1, 2, or 3 quantities of an item per order. All three quantities are shipped in the same box, which weighs 6.4 oz. A single product in that box weighs 18 oz., so the total weight is rounded up to 25 oz. Two products are 36 + 6.4 = 42.4 or 43 oz.; and 3 items are 54 oz + 6.4 = 60.4 (61 oz).

Currently I just have the single item 25 oz as the weight and multiply that by quantity to get TotalWeight. The problem is for three items the box weight is added in 3 times making the total 75 oz. When rounded up to pounds for Priority mail this becomes 5 lbs instead of 4 lbs for the actual weight.

I was playing around with various calculations without figuring it out, but then I realized that each item weighs the same (18 oz) and it's just the box weight that needs to be added to the total. I know some shops always add a flat rate to the postage for "handling".

At first I thought in eCart object / shipping I could just add the extra ounces, but it appears to be set up to add a specific money amount. I want the WEIGHT of the box to be added to the TotalWeight of the order and then have USPS return a shipping charge.

I assume there's a way in eCart to just add 7 oz to what ever the TotalWeight is for shipping, I'm just missing it.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...