close ad
Install the LAtest Updates to Work with CC 2017 and CC 2018
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

Cannot get CMS Builder to work

Thread began 2/24/2011 6:53 pm by stevecarr399613 | Last modified 3/21/2011 12:58 pm by stevecarr399613 | 4113 views | 27 replies

elton

Unfortunately, with WebAssist it seems that the only way to protect yourself from being a crash dummy is to wait until at least the 1.1 release...

Hey, even past Microsoft releases are like that, only WebAssist is working without the $millions$ spent on computerized regression testing, duh.)

But WebAssist can do better than this. You should do better than this. You must do better than this if you hope to keep customers and not ruin your reputation.

I continue to hope for your success. I waited for a year to see if you had changed your product delivery testing process. It does not seem you have done enough. What you are producing has a market...there are still many amateur/part time developers, wannabee developers out here.

Joomla, and other "average Joe" website automation alternatives are going to put you out of business if you cannot overcome the highly visible buggy dot zero releases in your extensions and solutions. That is why I have not upgraded to PowerStore 4.

Time is money for us just as it is for you...We purchase your products because of the promises you make...that your products will save us time...even without coding...But your products do not have adequate configuration error trapping to detect common errors that end-users (non-developers) are likely to make.

The extensions lack robust run-time testing of the developer's environmental settings to assure successful installs, even lacking what should be considered common day-to-day implementation issues.

When I tried to implement this product, CMS Builder 1.0, I immediately hit the wall. It hosed my Dreamweaver IDE. I filed a complaint on the forum and the next day received a support call.

Thank you for the quick response.:)

Ray helped me to find a configuration error I had made, and he also suggested some work-around fixes to "hold me over..."

(1) But I was not happy with the trade offs suggested. The work around included changing my Dreamweaver CS4 Testing and Remote environment settings to the same values...effectively wiping out Dreamweaver's test platform functionality.

(2) I was promised a code fix within a week to correct the extension's inability to work with different settings for Test and Remote Dreamweaver locations...

[QUESTION: How can WebAssist test extensions for production release without using different Dreamweaver Test and Remote setting?]

I was already at the end of my 15 day warranty period. When they published a notice a couple of days later it stated it would instead be weeks before a patch was released.

I decided to throw in the towel. I requested and received (without any hassles:)) a full refund on this product.

:cool:WARNING: READ THE WARRANTY! Anyone new to WebAssist should watch out for the short 15 day warranty period. It is a LOT SHORTER than most software vendors. If you purchase something, don't wait around a couple of weeks to try it out. Hit the ground running to see if it meets your needs... Forget the marketing hype of the sample videos...try it in your environment.

For new products, be aware it could take from several weeks to a few months until you and/or someone else has done the heavy lifting and helped WebAssist debug what can only be classified as beta products...long after your warantee has expired.

My perspective on WebAssist completely changed over the last two years. I've always liked the end result of WebAssist's products and own virtually every one of them...

But the deer-in-the-headlights feeling I've had the last couple of years has pretty much embittered me from ever purchasing another "one-dot-zero" release from them. I'll leave the bleeding edge beta testing to younger folks to challenge.

WebAssist suit of products are frequently changing/evolving to fix shortcomings and improve their features/functionality mix. Too often they seem to fix functionality shortcomings in the initial releases by cobbling together groups of (or modifications of) other extensions into new products that almost, but not quite, make a usable and complete extension.

For example, CSS Site Builder dropped the per site license of PowerCMS, but came with what appears to be a purposefully crippled CMS that does not allow you to easily maintain the pages once created (cannot add new CMS items on existing pages.) PowerStore and PowerCMS do not have this limitation, but this distinction was not clearly noted in CSS Site Builder marketing.

If you did not purchase PowerCMS, and waited until only a few months later, they released CMS Builder that promised to solve the CSS Site Builder CMS maintenance functionality hole, and do practically the same thing as PowerCMS for a lot less (i.e. not on a site-per-site licensing scheme.)

WebAssist is truly a bleeding edge company. For WebAssist products...my experience has been that dot zero is really a field trial Beta release and that is simply the way things have been on their major product upgrades/releases for the last couple of years.

They are a small tools development shop with limited resources and what has repeatedly proven to be an inadequate methodology for testing new products. If you have the time to wait for them to debug the problems, WebAssist is good about ultimately resolving the issues and creating usable/useful tools.

You will FREQUENTLY find yourself really on the edge of the cliffs on new releases.

Even serious problems must wait for published fixes...sometimes for weeks or months...perhaps until enough end users crash and burn...finding a large enough group of untested "vapor-ware" type holes in the code to fill support forums with reviews that again make WebAssist look like amateur night.

It is a real shame because most of their more mature products work very well and can save much time for more experienced code-slingers who have the skills and willingness to get their hands dirty..

But I would NEVER recommend WebAssist initial releases for weekend developers unless they are just looking for the experience (and frustrations) of being unpaid beta testers of someone else's code.

I certainly wasted more in $time$ than the new product discount was worth.:eek: This product has caused problems for me, breaking the website I attempted to us it on. I still am trying to figure out what or if other extension files got overlaid so I can undo the mess.

Here is a suggestion for WebAssist. If you don't have the resources to perform better lent / regression testing in-house...how about offering the product for free as a beta to more experienced developers who are willing to help you debug it, donating their own time in exchange for rights to use the product before anyone else.

Or perhaps just call your initial release what it is...a beta which includes the expectation that it will probably fail and be buggy and that it should not be put into a production environment.

When you find and fix these kinds of serious/significant bugs and re-release a stable version at regular price, folks who cannot afford to suffer the beta cycle frustrations will be a whole lot happier with WebAssist, who have read your marketing hype, but are unsuspecting victims of your public beta test cycle.

At least that way you would be honest about the true status of what has been the consistent state of your dot zero offerings and people would know what they were getting up front.

I am sure there are many who would be willing to work with you on this concept.

Otherwise, change your marketing and call yourself what you are...a tool vendor for professional developers who are looking for widgets/extension that they can debug and use to their considerable advantage after their own experienced cycle of debugging...

These extensions are not products for folks who are looking for tools that require little or no programming skills. That has proven to be a total misrepresentation in my opinion.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...